Day 3 - Culture and antiquities


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
September 27th 2022
Published: September 27th 2022
Edit Blog Post

The weather was a bit sketchy today so we shifted plans and went to The British Museum to see all of the plundered treasures collected from around the world. The Egyptian artifacts and the remains of the Parthenon were particularly interesting to see. Don wasn’t as impressed by this museum as The Louvre as it was more artifacts of life than art. We are ready for the Trivial Pursuit category of ancient history thought for the brief time we will retain it.

After the museum, we made it to our first British pub. We had a lovely snack platter and our first pint before strolling around the neighborhood for a bit as it wasn’t raining. We walked back to the hotel - another 9.5 km of walking today - and put our feet up
a bit.

We Ubered over to the restaurant at The Globe where we had dinner reservations. We had a lovely dinner and, because I let them know it was Don’s birthday, they brought out this lovely dessert. They didn’t sing but he said he was grateful for that.

We had finally read the small print on our tickets for The Tempest at Shakespeare’s Globe theatre. Open air theatre. Changed our planned wardrobe a bit as it was down to 10 degrees (50 F for Americans) so we got all bundled up.

While The Globe has the traditional standing room, we did book great seats, with cushions, so enjoyed the show. The poor lead actor who played Prospero spent most of his time on stage in a Speedo. He must have been freezing. The high school kids standing around the edge of the stage got a real show.

Just back to hotel and looking forward to a good nights sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb