Next day today - 21st July


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Earls Court
July 21st 2010
Published: July 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Changing of the GuardChanging of the GuardChanging of the Guard

Windsor Castle
hello again,

as you can tell by the dates I have been catching up on our blogs today and not quite so newsy after a couple of days as it could've been... must be the brandies tonight - OMG he makes them strong....

Today was a very long day - first of all the sun is up at 4am and doesn't go back down again until about 9.30pm - anyway was awake from around 3am onwards... but moving on we were at the tube bright and early and then to Victoria to find the bus we had to catch to take us to Windsor Castle, Bath and Stonehenge... what fun it was finding the right bus out of so many tourist buses - were nicely seated in one bus - after a few hassles and wrong directions when we were told we were not only on the wrong bus but also the wrong bus line!!

Eventually got on the right bus and were on our way. First stop was Windsor Castle - to see the State Apartments and Aunt Lizzie but she wasn't in residence today - in fact was up at Buck Palace.... and surrounding areas, libraries,
BathBathBath

One of the famous baths at Bath - the largest one - no diving boards here ...
meeting rooms, dressing rooms and such like - it was a bit of rush trip there and then we saw the ceremony - Changing of the Guard - quite a long process and started to wonder if it was going to end but was good to see. The State apartments were opulent but not huge as you would think - they were long and narrow. Heaps of paintings and other priceless artefacts there. Love the village atmosphere and the shopping there .... if only we had the time!!

The bus went onto Bath which took a snooze or two to get to - loved Bath - it was gorgeous there - in fact one couple on the bus stopped at Stonehenge - the next stop, and then caught a train back to stay at Bath. Bath is about the baths but the town surrounding it is absolutely beautiful, very colourful gardens and walkways. We all went in shorts and T-shirts but the wind was cold so ended up buying a spray jacket each to keep out the cold wind... then it got warm again.... anyway we now have them just in case.

We went onto Stonehenge - which
StonehengeStonehengeStonehenge

The rocky bits at Stonehenge
was about an hour and a half away or a long snooze away... think we all snoozed... after all we left at 7.45am and got back about 7.15pm...., back to Stonehenge - had heaps of information about it some of which is possibly conjecture but didn't really grab us.... or we're just not interested... not sure but could be because we had snoozed and it was a long day it just didn't do it for us... except for John perhaps.... then we slept most of the way back again and had dinner at a place down the road and home here again. We had a great guide for the 3 places we went to today - obviously NOT a royalist but was good fun and had a very sarcastic sense of humour!!


We have done a lot of travel over the last few days around London and out in the country areas and it is amazing how dry it is - even the golf courses are very dry. Not only about the weather but amazing that the architecture is the same throughout all areas we've been - no good being a builder here!! All the houses are in
Windsor CastleWindsor CastleWindsor Castle

You can't see if but there is a gorgeous garden just below - probably Lizzie takes the Corgis there for a walk
the old English traditional style and haven't seen many modern ones at all (3) and you would think then that the outsides of the house would be absolutely beautiful but it seems that people don't really care about gardens etc or modernising sheds etc - think it's amazing really.

It has been full on for us and tomorrow we head off to Dover about 9am, takes a little while to get there, will have a look - well as much as you can with a suitcase each and hand luggage... and then head off on our cruise about 4pm - looking forward to it as our cabin is larger than the room we have here!! But the WiFi is free here..... so perhaps will do the blog every couple of days... .OMG this brandy is so strong tonight!!

it's 7.34 am in Adelaide now and 10.30 pm now - we're about 9.5 hours behind over here. First stop on our cruise is Copenhagen so will hear from me then. Be good and take care.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Windsor CastleWindsor Castle
Windsor Castle

Another viiew - big place and many people live in one building there


22nd July 2010

Hello - you have been busy!!!
Hi Lyn and John - wow! you have been busy. Great photos! The size of hotel rooms in England is a surprise - not used to such small rooms and no facilities - Aussies are truely spoilt! Can I say thank you so much for the gift voucher, hoping you didn't have to pay for it. Looking forward to the massage in particular!
23rd July 2010

glad to hear you still have brandy time
Hi Guys Love your blog - always so well written and entertaining. Mmm, I think London won't be on my list of places to see, well, stay for a long period! Hope the cruise is going well and your room is a decent size. Hear from you soon. Keep having fun. Eva x
26th July 2010

England is special
We were so impressed with England we will go back for longer next time. Do you agree? Sounds like you had a great time. Hope the cruise is great and enjoy the food/brandy. Try not to put on as much weight as I did. Catch you later or when you get home.
7th August 2010

Re: england
HI brother - yes enjoyed our short time in London and am loving Ireland - just like Ballarat when we were growing up - in so many ways! Love the irish people and their food - oh yum! I have written down your new email address - didn't have it and emails I have tried to send to you have bounced back - must go shower now and get on with our travels - be good and take care both of you xxxx

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb