Meet the Family (part 2)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » East Sussex » Hailsham
October 8th 2006
Published: October 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The train ride down from London was a bit confusing due to works on the line, but after a train, a bus and another train we made it to Polegate station and were met by my Mum's cousin Stephen.

Spent a couple days with Stephen, his wife Jane, kids Thomas, James, Johanna, Chris, Matt & David and the furry ones Bonnie and Clyde and managed to get everyone's names right by the end. Also got to meet my grandfather's brother Raymond who was just like him and the other brothers and his lovely wife Jessie. We all went out for a meal and then a drink at the local rugby club which was pretty classic - I think I was related to half the bar!

On Sunday Stephen took Corb and I out for a drive to Bodiam Castle a real medieval British Castle nearby. It was all stone and surrounded by an actually full moat and showed some neat historical videos with a guy all dressed up in armour. Then we drove through Battle where the 1066 Battle of Hastings was fought and down along the Eastbourne coast in the sunshine. From there it was up to Beachy Head where we had awesome views back across Eastbourne, and across the white cliffs and countryside of East Sussex.

It's really pretty down here, lots of green fields, shaded winding lanes, cute pubs in quaint villages and sheep (which was supposed to cure any homesickness). It is really nice and peaceful here and was exactly was I was expecting of the English Countryside. We were even treated to that quintessential British Meal - The Sunday Roast - which Jane cooked up complete with spuds and yorkshire puddings and finished off with some Spotted Dick for dessert - yum!

It's been relaxing and really neat. I'd never even spoken to this part of the family before and yet it feels like I've known them forever since their all so much like the rest of the family back in NZ. Pretty cool how we are all the same despite living in different hemispheres.

On another curious note: Stephen told me the tale of how a relative (great great aunt's son's wife) worked in a nearby pub named The Hungry Monk as the cook quite a few years back. One day she experimented with a new dessert which became a family, as well as client favourite. Now it seems Bannoffee Pie is the pick of puddings all over the district and even as far away as NZ!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0998s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb