July 21--lovely day in the countryside


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Derbyshire
July 21st 2008
Published: July 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lara, Mel and I headed out to Chatsworth in the lovely Derbyshire where Pride and Prejudice (the latest one with Kiera Knightley) was filmed. Beautiful scenery and just absolutely heavenly…I was nostalgic all day long and couldn’t stop staring at rolling hills of sheep and lush greenness. We walked around and in and out of the gardens and around the little pond on the land. Didn’t go inside the actual castle/mansion b/c costed a few extra pounds, but I was just as satisfied with the scenery---god! Soooo gorgeous! We packed a lunch so ate luncheon on the river of the estate and made friends with ducks that came up to our feet because they wanted food so bad.
After taking in all of Chatsworth in (I don’t know if that would actually be possible b/c the estate is sooo large!), we decided to go to an old mining cavern called Blue John’s cavern. Has blue john stone! Very cool and damp and chilly…walked 488 stairs down and up to the very deep depths of 300 feet below ground…it was intense and I was a bit freaked out at first b/c I had just watched The Descent….soooo I was trying to not get too creative with my mind when I looked in the dark crevices and holes in the stone…*chilllls*… But we made it out alive and it was actually really, really amusing! Even saw old fossils from the coniferous period down there.
Then we detoured on some lovely old country one lane road within the hills of Derby to this cute little park in Dovedale. While driving on the road, sheep were in the way so had to wait because they were worse than deer…they just stared at you and kept eating and even a cow wanted to see who was on the road because one was sticking it’s head in the road…crazy animals!…got an ice cream cone and took a stroll…it was gorgeous! Definitely one of my favorite days so far!!!! ☺
To top off the day, we went to one of Mel’s friends parents run pub called The Rose and Crown and I got a Carling beer! Woohoooo! The pubs here are sooo adorable and you basically want to take a picture of all of them b/c each one has the traditional gold bold letters with the cutest/funniest/randomess names such as “Dog and Partridge” or “George and Bear” with the traditional looking outside of a British pub.




Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

new friends!new friends!
new friends!

not afraid of people at all!
truly authentic country roadintruly authentic country roadin
truly authentic country roadin

tractors, sheep, and cows were always in the road.
"Men's snot""Men's snot"
"Men's snot"

minerals
yummmyyummmy
yummmy

we all got caramel toffee crunch...wowwyyy!


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb