Settling in - July 19-20


Advertisement
Published: July 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sooo the journey begins...
Arrived at the Gatwick airport at 7am on Sat, July 19...blahh didn't sleep much b/c too excited, but I was picked up by Melissa, buddy who lived down the hall from me in first year at UBC. My first awakening that I was in another country was when I went for the drivers side of the car to get in and Mel was like "what are ya doing?"...yeahhhhh you sit on the right side..oops But we drove out 3 hours to her hometown, Burton-upon-Trent....close to Nottingham!! Gorgeous country side just as you would imagine..WOW! Rolling hills of barley and crops with some random trees and hedges lining the two laned roads. Truly scenic! We were both exhausted when we finally got to her home--me from flying and her from waking up at 4 in the morning to come pick me up--so we both took a 5 hour nap immediately!!!
After settling and adjusting the internal clock, we headed out to Mel's friend's house for a bbq and so got to meet all her buddies who are wonderful! They have the coolest/thickest accents!! gaaaa my ears are going to be so keeeen after this...
The next morning Mel and her friends took me out to the Bee Hive and AWWWW amazing breakfast foood! I've never had tomatoes and beans with eggs, toast, and sausage..haha AMAZING!!! Then we hopped to this rural festival in Ashbourne called the Ashbourne Highland Gathering--there were bagpipes, plaid skirts, highland dancing, tug of war, food, moon walks, and games. It almost seemed more Scottish than British... Mel's friend, Rachel, was on the tug-of-war team which was sooooo INTENSE!!!!! They use rollerblades and take off the wheels and use the boots with gold plates on the bottom to dig into the ground to keep them from moving forward. Some even use ski boots--ugghhh thought that would be soo uncomfortable...HAVE YOU EVER WORN SKI BOOTS?!! But props to them--I couldn't stop staring..it was sooo crazy!
Later, Mel showed me around her house. She lives on a dairy farm or what used to be one since her dad decided to throw in towel and not run it anymore. There's stables and old milking machines and even this big manure pump tank thing..haha Very cute! And she has 3 horses..Jay, Misti, and Sky along with a cat and dog.

sooo now, we're just taking it easy for the moment and watching...Superbad because she hasn't seen it yet..haha CHEERS!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

mel's buddiesmel's buddies
mel's buddies

note the Country Manor...similar to our franzia boxed wine...SHIVVERRR!!!
best breakfast!best breakfast!
best breakfast!

beans and tomatoes for breakfast??? yummmy
ashbourneashbourne
ashbourne

i liked the ducks behind us! That's Lara with us!
holland teamholland team
holland team

mel's friend, rachel, is the blondie...BADASSS CHICKAA
horsies!horsies!
horsies!

Mel's is the white one, Sky.
feedingfeeding
feeding

fed them breathmints hehe


25th July 2008

Hey Chicka
Wow - I'm sooo jealous. Looks like a great time. Boxed wine huh?! Eeeuuu! How's the beer! Gone horseback riding yet? I haven't done that in years - I think I got bucked off. Ouch. Same ole here. We are having a thunderstorm this morning - electricity still on. I get off at noon and it's supposed to clear up by then. I'm going to relax and do NO gardening. I have relatives over there. Actually there all over - Oxford, Oxon, Surrey, Suffolk, I forget the rest. They mention Holly Lodge a lot(?). Got to run. Have a BLAST! I miss you. Later - Debbie ")
25th July 2008

Looks like fun
Hi Hilary, looks like you are having fun, thanks for sharing your trip. We miss you and wish you safe travels! Karen
25th July 2008

that figures
so i don't get an email from my daughter until she just happens to add me to a list of coworkers? great. english countryside looks great!
26th July 2008

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hil.......Thaks for sharing the photo's!!!!!!! Enjoy every moment. xoxo Cindy
27th July 2008

minnesota
on to Jordan! send us some more photos. hey, you missed the company BQ, which is surely as big an event as europe. nice weekend here, the sun is shining.
27th July 2008

yobo!!! i love this. i'm sooo glad you made a blog! i love reading/hearing about your trip!!!! it makes me sooooooo jealous. i wish i would've gone with you!! ok well...high balls as usual i love you habibi!
27th July 2008

Miss you Girlie!!
Hey Hil! Great blog. great photos! So, what do those guys wear under thier kilts?? hahaha. Please post the Jordan fotos. Is the food as fabulous as I suspect? Alex and Steph say hello (they are together in Boulder). So glad you're having fun, be safe. Love, Patty
28th July 2008

yooo hillllllllsy. coool pictures and stufff looks like your having a great time!!!!!! i went to london too, london ontario!! hahahahahaha anywayyyys my friend is dropping off a coffe table and stuff for us!! yayyyyy hope you are welllll misssssssss youuuuuu xoxoxo CALL ME WHEN YOU GET BAAAACK!!
30th July 2008

Hi
Hey Hil, love all your pictures! Thanks for including me in your adventure, you know how I love to travel!!! Kali's coming home in two days for the weekend. Hope we all can get together before you leave for school. Have fun! XO Kari
30th July 2008

Nice Blog!
Hi Hil - Looks and sounds like you are having a great time! Interesting foods in both England and the Middle East - be sure to write down recipes for those worth trying when you get back. Days are heating up nicely here - perhaps now as warm as where you are! Keep smiling and have fun! xoxo

Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.135s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb