Derbyshire 56 - Another trip across the Pennines /it won't take a minute /walking sticks and other people /Vegan sausage rolls and Greggs bakery


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Derbyshire » Chesterfield
November 26th 2019
Published: November 26th 2019
Edit Blog Post

" Depend on your walking stick and not on other people " What an interesting and thought provoking Japanese proverb and one which hits the right spot. If you depend on others they can let you down badly. Depending on yourself and your own devices can be the better option. When I was young my dad brought home a book. I cannot remember the full title but it definately had the words "Phrase and Fable " embedded into the text . It was full of wise sayings . Some that were no longer used and were archaic and old fashioned . Others were still part and parcel of the rich English language . Some borrowed from others. Some totally unique . I loved that book. It smelt old . Turning its pages it smelt musty . I used to learn a new proverb or saying every day . Perhaps that is why I love my calendar with its philosophical sayings . Depending on a walking stick sounded good to me .

Update on our Girl Gabby . We got the phone call . Our fitter sounded confident . "I have the solution " " It is easy - won't take you long to do" "JUst get the tablet out and load the app. I will tell you what you need to do" Whoooooooah.............no no we thought . . We are not doing anything ourselves which might invalidate our guarantee. If push comes to shove we will have interefered with it and that would not go down well. Despite another long drive across the Pennines it seemed a more sensible thing to drive and get our fitter to do the deed .

It was a dark morning when we set off . A damp one too. The rain just seems to be falling in bucketloads . Everywhere is wet. The fields look like ponds . The ducks have new homes. The trip up the M1 was about as appealing as it normally is. Meadowhall was being its usual Meadowhell self . Flooded car park , stranded shoppers . Rather them than me. Over the Oughtibridge by pass to open countryside . The moors were desolate . The Woodhead pass closes in the winter if the weather is severe. Today it was dull , misty and not that inviting . The reservoirs which were fairly empty last week were now brimming over the tops. What a difference a week makes . Gabby knows her way over the tops with her eyes shut . She has been so many times . Most under better conditions than this one . Would he fix it we wondered? What happens if this fails ? We need to be positive . Of course he will fix it and we will get off to France . Our overnight in Chertsey is booked and paid for as is the train . We have a plan . Keep to the coast and see the pretty seaside villages and towns along the Somme estuary. Head for the D D beaches and the museums some of which will be open in the run up to Christmas. A Benedictine monastery with tours of the monastic house and the distillery . We talked as we queued to get round Mottram near Manchester . We always queue here . They scream "We need a bypass " Signs on every post . Signs on every house . Yes we agree you do need a by pass .

Eventually we end up at Greggs on the motorway services . Clean , tidy and much nicer
one of the many resevoirs on the Woodhead Pass one of the many resevoirs on the Woodhead Pass one of the many resevoirs on the Woodhead Pass

Why though do they make them so motorhome unfriendly with height barriers ???????
than those on the M1. They do a mean bacon sandwich, a croissant and two coffees for just over a fiver . Excellent value and throw in a vegan sausage roll . Couldnt ask for much more . Over coffee we ponder Caen with its abbeys and its museums . Beaux , and the castles of Vitre and Falais . We can make a holiday out of this if only the battery would function as it should do .

We get to the fitter. My bum does not hit the seat and he has done what he needs to do . A twiddle with the battery and a bit of fine tuning of the system ."All good " he says and we head off . Back to Greggs , another coffee another try of the step . It comes out and goes in . The soft door closes and the 12 volts is on , So far so good .

We get home - yes you guessed it No step . No soft closing door , No 12 volts . The system has shut down again ...................Back to the drawing board . We ask for the system to be taken out ..................." No problem " and our money back . "I can do that the 20th ." ..................OK we think 20th November - not too bad ." No 20th December " The air was blue .

Advertisement



26th November 2019
Woodhead Pass in the early morning on a grey and wet November morning

Amazing pics
Your photos are amazing!
26th November 2019

Gabby
All fixed now and ready for France? x
26th November 2019

Fixed
Sadly no - we had a problem at Teversal on Sunday night . TV went off and heating . The next morning Glenn took the 240 v out and everything went off and shut down. No leisure battery and no engine battery - all flat . Alarms going off as it was overheating . Glenn said as it was under his seat and could blow his b*****ks off . I laughed . A worry though . Been off all yesterday ., Today charged up again . The fitter is coming out Saturday to take it all out . We dont know whether to risk France or move the tunnel to May rather than lose the trip . We are going to try RoadPro at Daventry to see what they say. They do one all in with its own battery and regulator . Probably be over £2500 and knowing our luck the thing wont work !!!!!! x
26th November 2019

thankyou
Welcome to Travel blog
26th November 2019

thankyou
Welcome to Travel blog
26th November 2019

thankyou
Welcome to Travel blog
26th November 2019

Fixed
Oh no! what a worry for you. Its just so annoying. Hopefully you will get it fixed soon and then be off on your travels again. Surely it should still be under warranty or whoever fixed it the first time, should still be liable? Or maybe you could get a refund as this one doesn't work? It doesn't seem right that you have to keep paying out for it! x
27th November 2019

money back
It was fitted a month ago so we are getting our money back and having it removed on Saturday. The only annoying thing is the £50 every time we filled Gabby with diesel to get to Preston . The fitter is coming on Saturday to remove it and put the old batteries back. He has never failed us before so dont know why this has been a problem . We have had a quote from RoadPro - different system - more expensive but we are going to get a date from them to fit one . Hopefully better luck with Road Pro We can only keep our fingers crossed

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb