Arthur you have much to answer for!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Tintagel
August 28th 2022
Published: August 28th 2022
Edit Blog Post

King Arthur you have much to answer for. From ‘Excalibur’ plastic swords and plywood crossbows the streets here are alive with tacky tourist souvenirs that scream a crossover between English legend and Chinese cheapness.

Despite our expectations our meals here were very good. Thankfully we steered clear of the King Arthur’s Arms and found a pub that had good beer and good food. Thinking that vegetables would be a foreign word here we were pleasantly surprised despite the fact I ordered a 3 meat dish. I had a good carrot (aren’t all carrots at least good), some good roast potatoes (aren’t all roast potatoes at least good) and some red and green cabbage. Cauliflower gratin was meant to accompany the meal but… The pork, beef and lamb roast were tender, succulent and quite delicious and the pints of beer just the same! Julie had the roast lamb and there wasn’t much left on her plate either!

Another 800 metre plus elevation gain today and over 18.5 km so that’s become are standard day. We walked from just after 9:20 (late start) to almost 5 o’clock but we are into the routine and even tough hills have sort of become temporary obstructions. We have a 29 km day coming soonish so that may knock the swagger from us but at the moment all goes well.

We will have a look at Arthur’s Castle and the locations that support the legends here tomorrow as we have a relatively short walking day tomorrow. We walk to Port Isaac (Doc Martin village) and stay in the local pub which seems really good. Their web site, menu and general ambience seems very positive.

Until then.

Caio for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.303s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0818s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb