Student groups, tourist groups; Welcome to Cambridge!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire » Cambridge
July 31st 2016
Published: August 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Cambridge was teaming with people, a great majority of whom were in groups being led by someone with a flag. And there were people from all over the world, including many who appeared to be Chinese. Cambridge was a real smorgasbord of people.

Our taxi - AKA Ann & Chris' motor home - turned up at 8.30am on Sunday morning to take us to our Cambridge hotel, a gesture which we greatly appreciated. Bags stashed in the hotel, we set off to explore some of Cambridge. With just one day to explore some of what Cambridge has to offer there were bound to be disappointments. In retrospect I'm sorry that I didn't go on a punt which entailed being told something of the history of each of the colleges you were passing as you were taken along the River Cam.

But one of the many places we visited was the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, known locally as The Round Church. Located on the corner of Round Church Street and Bridge Street, it's one of the four medieval round churches still in use in England.

Kings College Cambridge was one of the most impressive we were able to take a closer look at. We were reminded of the two choirists from Kings College who we hosted many years ago when they toured Australia.

Trinity College was another impressive college. Founded by Henry V111 in 1546, it not only boasts that it's the richest college in Cambridge its members have also been awarded 32 Nobel Prizes out of a total of 91 Nobel Prize recipients who came from various Cambridge universities.

We managed to find time to visit the Fitzwilliam Museum which is the art and antiquities museum of the University of Cambridge. Founded in 1816 with the legacy of the library and art collection of the 7th Viscount Fitzwilliam, the bequest also included £100,000 to pay for the erection of a substantial museum to house the collection.

As I write this we're now settled into our Copenhagen apartment where we'll be spending the next couple of weeks and Cambridge seems part of another world!,


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Cambridge marketsCambridge markets
Cambridge markets

Where we bought a delicious Venison Pie and a Pork Pie for lunch"
Kings College ChapelKings College Chapel
Kings College Chapel

Somebody obviously wanted to impress!


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb