The honeymooners in Copenhagen: city of bicycles


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
August 3rd 2016
Published: August 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Already our three granddaughters are great cyclists - seven year old Sienna rides on the bike tracks on the roads, giving hand signals with all the necessary skills and confidence needed; five year old Evie isn't quite as confident as Sienna so only rides on specific bike tracks which are not on the main roads and two year old Isabella rides a little three wheeler bike with ease. For journeys on the road, Katherine rides what is called a cargo bike, where Isabella sits in the front complete with a seat belt on in what is a little buggy. Katherine's cargo bike has room for two children so, if necessary, both Evie and Isabella sit in the front of the bike. Indeed Denmark's Princess Mary has a cargo bike which she takes her twins to school in. According to the official website of Denmark most children can ride a bike by the time they start school and many six year olds seem to ride to school. By virtue of the fact that so many people of all ages ride bikes, there certainly are not so many fat people to be seen.

But stepping back a bit; Thomas met us at Copenhagen airport, driving us to the Hansen's apartment, calling in to our apartment to drop the bags off on the way. Once we arrived we were greeted by two excited granddaughters and one (Isabella) excited but slightly dubious one! But by the time we left to spend the first night in our apartment we'd won Isabella's heart once more.

Our apartment, which we booked through Airbnb, is around ten minutes walk to Katherine and Thomas' place and is somewhat bigger. Whereas Katherine and Thomas' apartment has three bedrooms ours only has two but our kitchen is bigger than there's. We are four floors up, whereas they are on the ground floor which is of course much more convenient as it means that the girls can ride their bikes in the communal courtyard just by stepping out of the back door. As with all apartments here we too have a communal courtyard which, as they all seem to, has a children's playground; ours has a communal cubby house. The apartment we are renting is an older building than the one the Hansens live in. Also we are close to Valby train station while they are close to Ny Elleburg station; six of one, half a dozen of he other!

By the time we woke on our first full Denmark day Thomas had already left to fly to NYC where he's going to a conference. So, with school holidays still in full swing, it was great to be able to help our darling daughter Katherine look after the girls.

We've all been to Norrsport and wandered around Torvehallerne, a market of sorts which has over 60 stands selling everything from fresh fish and meat to gourmet chocolate and exotic spices, as well as small places where you can have a quick bite to eat. It was there we fuelled ourselves up with morning coffee at the renowned Coffee Collective which my darling sister Charlotee no doubt remembers from our visit together two years ago.

At Torvehallerne there was an outdoor stage set up for the Copenhagen Opera Festival so we enjoyed a bit of culture too. And we even managed to do a did a bit of shopping since the sales were on. Plus we wandering down to the lake. Not far from where you were staying Nicola when you spent some time with us in CPH.

Taking public transport with three children in tow means that such outings need a different sort of organisation. Since the summer school holidays are nearing their final week there's not much time left to be able to do things which include Sienna, Evie and Isabella. All three girls are multi lingual of course so we're very impressed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Is is Danish for ice creamIs is Danish for ice cream
Is is Danish for ice cream

But we saw a different meaning!
Statue down by the lakeStatue down by the lake
Statue down by the lake

We decided those little people were tooth fairies!
Lunch!Lunch!
Lunch!

Children of course are always hungry!
Isabella is all ready for a journeyIsabella is all ready for a journey
Isabella is all ready for a journey

She likes to wear her sunglasses upside down!


4th August 2016

Bicycles
I think that is an everlasting memory of CPH all the bicycles. I think the fact that it is so flat makes it so easy to ride. Your little ones are so gorgeous Michelle. Isn't wonderful the way children pick up the language so quickly. How is Katherine doing on that front? Enjoy the rest of your time in CPH
5th August 2016

Katherine's language skills
Katherine remains an English speaker but of course she dies have three interpreters!
5th August 2016

Memories of CPH
Oh the sight of cyclists everywhere; so much easier to cycle as Copenhagen is pretty much flat terrain. On our first visit the Danes took much delight, as I was clearly a tourist, in ringing their bike bells when I stepped off the kerb, forgetting to look right instead of left, into the cycle lane and jumped from shock when a grinning Dane rang their bell. There was always much laughter and apologies on my part. CPH if my favourite city in the world; the locals are friendly and helpful and their all speak English as it is their second language. Enjoy wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen Michelle.
5th August 2016

Wonderful wonderful Copenhagen
Great to hear from you Noella! Hope to see you again soon. M xx

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb