World Cities Tour 2014 Summer Edition - Day 1 and 2


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Berkshire » Windsor
June 18th 2014
Published: June 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Travel Hamster goes through securityTravel Hamster goes through securityTravel Hamster goes through security

When Tony and Anne went to New Zealand in 2007 they took this hamster along to help document the trip. He's back on the road with them again this trip and traveling through security in style.
Day 1 and 2 - Don't Go to Sleep

We set off for England Tuesday afternoon. The trip took over 14 hours between the flight from SLO to Los Angeles and Los Angeles to London and then from the airport to Windsor. Michelle enjoyed the variety of in-flight movies. By the time we reached the hotel, it was 2PM, local time on Wednesday. We are staying at the Christopher Wren Hotel in Windsor, right on the Thames. Our room even looks out over the river. We checked in and tried to avoid sleeping until a reasonable time.

Looking for something to eat, we stopped at the cafe across the street. The Chocolate Theater Cafe has over 25 different types of hot chocolate, including the American hot chocolate (with marshmallows), the penultimate hot chocolate, the ultimate hot chocolate, and a variety of liquored hot chocolates. This week is the Royal Ascot races and everywhere we look we can see people dressed in their finest. It made for some interesting people watching during lunch.

After lunch and a wallow in chocolaty goodness we went for a walk along the riverside to avoid jet lag. We saw geese, ducks and swans
Pillow fight in row 44Pillow fight in row 44Pillow fight in row 44

You mean the the complementary pillows are not meant for pillow fights?
all begging for bread, boaters of dubious skill, and local parks with some interesting natural arches. On the way back into town we walked though some local neighborhoods and business districts. Our wandering took us into the downtown area of Windsor by the the castle and shopping districts.

found an old garden maze that Tony remembered from his childhood in England where Michelle had fun running around. We also stopped at a park where Michelle played with some local kids. Dinner was some tasty fish and chips on the Riverside. Now to try and sleep through the night and set our internal clocks to local time. We've planned for an easy day tomorrow exploring Windsor.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Hamster settles in for some tunesHamster settles in for some tunes
Hamster settles in for some tunes

Getting all 345 people on the plane checked in and settled took a little while. Michelle and hamster took some time to check out the AV options.
the UK Borderthe UK Border
the UK Border

After 14 hours we had to threaten to tickle Michelle to make her smile for the camera.
Chocolate!Chocolate!
Chocolate!

3 hot chocolates to perk us up after a long day traveling.
The Royal Windsor MazeThe Royal Windsor Maze
The Royal Windsor Maze

Michelle took a break to solve the maze. Tony remembers being here and solving the maze as a child.
Windsor castle in the backgroundWindsor castle in the background
Windsor castle in the background

A quick break and family picture by Windsor Castle.
GOOD Fish 'n ChipsGOOD Fish 'n Chips
GOOD Fish 'n Chips

Not like we get at home.


25th June 2014
Chocolate!

Chocolate looks yummy!!! Have fun :)

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb