Railjet to Zurich


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
August 20th 2013
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 47.3667, 8.55

After the general mediocrity of recent train experiences, today was a welcome and refreshing trip. Day travel is a million times better than overnight. The train was excellent, heaps of room, leather seats and tray tables. The journey itself was very scenic. The countryside between Vienna and Zurich was lush and green. We were treated to aqua blue lakes, rolling hills and towering mountains. It was better than a flight and 7 hours flew by really.
The walk from the station to our accommodation didn't. 30 minutes, through a slumming neighborhood wearing our packs. Given the price of Zurich, we picked a guesthouse that fitted our budget. We were pleasantly surprised. With no reception, we obtained our key by entering a code in a security box. The room, for a 2 star was an apartment really, a touch up away from being 4 star quality. We even have a balcony and fridge.
Dinner tonight was simple. Eating out will cost you around 30-35 Swiss Francs, or $35-40AUD per person, so we just didn't. We found a supermarket for salad, wine and beer, and picked up a pizza and frites to share. It made quite the dinner, enjoyed out on our guesthouse balcony.
Zurich itself, is just a money focused city. Its expensive, and full of high paced, stressed, corporate folk. The Old Town area is quite pretty, like many cities in Europe. Tomorrow we have an exciting day trip to Lucerne and Mount Titlis, to really see the beauty Switzerland has to offer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



27th August 2013

Quite a big room!

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb