Titlis for a Day


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
August 21st 2013
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 47.0457, 8.30824

A real candidate for the most spectacular scenic day of our trip, and that's saying something. It didn't come cheap, but it was well worth it. Today, we saw what Switzerland has to offer. 7 years ago, I ascended Mount Pilatus, on the worlds steepest railway. It was a pretty awesome experience, but paled in comparison to the magnificence of the awkwardly named Mount Titlis (and yes, that is how you pronounce it). For todays experience, we booked a full day tour with Viator. The tour also gave us the opportunity to explore the beautiful city of Lucerne. We boarded the bus from the Zurich Coach terminal. Half the passengers having chosen Pilatus as their destination, the other half going with the Titlis option.
We arrived in Lucerne around 11, stopping to view the Lion monument here, before getting a good hour of free time. We used this time to casually explore the Old Town here, walking over the oldest wooden bridge in Europe, built back in the 13th century. We grabbed some cheap sandwiches for lunch and reboarded our bus for the journey into the mountains.
What can I say about how beautiful and spectacular this trip was? Words and even the amazing photos attached here, just dont do it justice. What made it the most spectacular, was the weather. We were very lucky. Clear blue skies and sunshine are at a premium in this place, especially having 100% clear visibility from the top. The bus ride itself was something, taking us through green valleys, up winding inclines, and showcasing the mountains around us, some towering so high, you could hardly see the top.
Soon enough, we reached the town of Engelberg at the base of Mount Titlis. Here, the real climb could begin, via 3 separate cable cars, taking over 30 minutes. When we climbed out of the bus, we werent quite expecting the strong smell of farm animals. The cows here all wear adorable giant bells so you often hear a gentle and constant jingling. As we waited to board the cable car, we got chatting to a nice couple from Australia, Luke and Rhianna. We ended up spending most of the afternoon with them.
Our first cable car was a four seater, lasting about 15 minutes. As we climbed and chatted with Luke and Rhianna, it became evident we all had something in common. A cynicism of most people yes, but more relevantly, a fear of heights. Not the most comforting heading up to a height of 3239 metres. Soon enough we climbed out of our small cable cars and onto giant 80 person gondolas, the second of which rotated. Theres always someone on these things that screams at a jolt, which dosnt help!
The view from the top was breathtaking. You feel as though you were above the horizon, looking down above the clouds. It was all so crisp and clear. Kilometres below, you could see the town of Engelberg where we had started the climb, and all around, fields, aqua blue lakes, mountains, whitecaps and green.
A short walk over snow took us to the worlds highest swing bridge. This was a test of nerves; 3041 metres high, a 500 metre drop and 150 heart stopping steps. With each step, the bridge creaked and swung from side to side. As we shimmied across, we were treated to spectacular views of the snowy mountains around us. As if I needed one, there was a huge reward for braving the bridge. A treat was waiting on the other side, the Glacier Cave.
This freezing cold heart of the Titlis Glacier was something else. A 150 metres winding tunnel of ice, takes you twenty metres below the glacier surface. Just amazing. There were sculptures chiseled in the ice, and tree roots could be seen above.
From there, back out the cave, again over the cliff walk bridge, we came to the Ice Flyer, another chair lift. This carried us over the Glacier, to a mini fun park below. Below us, you could peer into 10 metre deep crevasses in the ice. At the fun park, there was just enough time to enjoy a quick snow tubing experience. Luke and I jumped in rubber tube, sliding down the slope. From here, the ice flier brought us back to the top, where we awaited a gondola to begin our descent down the mountain. There was enough room for all in the first gondola, but 2; Rhianna and I. We were stranded and waved goodbye to the others, heading down the mountain. We were among the first aboard the next gondola and soon enough we were all back to Engelberg. From here, we climbed back on the bus and began the trip back to Zurich via Lucerne.
Back in Zurich, we had a quick bus tour of Old Town, before being dropped at the coach station. At the train station here, we organized a train trip to Interlaken for tomorrow The walk back to the hotel wasn't great, Id whacked my broken toe again, and pressing against my hiking boot, it was hurting, badly. Dinner tonight was another take away affair, a roast chicken and side salad from the supermarket. Fridge beers for company. We have booked Barcelona accommodation also. Switzerland is an amazing place. What a day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 82, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



27th August 2013

Wow! Wow! What a spectacular place. Definiately putting this one on my list of places to see.

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0753s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb