2 beautiful days


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
October 2nd 2010
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 46.5196, 6.63212

We got up on Thursday and it was a pretty clear day. We decided to take the cog wheel train up to Rochers-De-Naye, which is at almost 7,000 feet, for a view of Montreaux and the surrounding mountains. By the time we got to the top, we were higher than the clouds. We walked around for a while in about 3 inches of snow. It must have snowed in the last couple of nights. We saw some great views between clouds blocking our view. After we got back to lake level, we got on a boat and did a 2 hour tour of Lake Geneva. This only covered about 10% of the lake. This is the largest lake in Europe. We walked back to our hotel and took a short nap, then out to dinner. The next morning, we checked out, got the car out of the tiny garage and headed for Lausanne. It was only a 20 mile drive to Lausanne, so it didn't take very long. We found a coin operated laundry that was in the Rick Steve's book and did our last laundry. There was a woman there doing about 6 loads at the same time. She also had about 10 leaf rake bags full of dirty laundry to do. We watched her as our laundry was going. She washed 6 loads and then proceeded to start them all over again and put in more detergent and rinse. This is at 7 francs a load! We figured that she was going to spend about 100 francs($100) to do her laundry. After our laundry was done, we checked into our room. It is up the hill from the lake and we have a lakeview room with a small balcony. Great views of the lake and the towns on the other side.
We walked down to the lake side and looked for the TI to get a map of the city. We found a place for a quick lunch. The area down by the lake is called Ouchy. There is a long promenade to walk on and we found the Olympic museum and went to see that. We walked back to the Metro, took it up the hill to our street and then grabbed a bus back to our hotel. I guess all this walking has inflammed my Plantar Fasiitus and my right foot is getting sore.
Tomorrow, we are going to go to the old section of Lausanne. There is supposed to be a nice castle and a couple of old churches to see.
On Monday, we leave Lausanne and head back to Geneva. We turn the car in on Monday afternoon. It should have about 2200km on it by then(1300 miles). Thats alot of miles for such a small country.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.454s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0869s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb