Big town, small towns


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
September 28th 2010
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 46.9588, 7.52331

On Monday, we took the train back into Bern to do a walking tour of the old town. It was a very cool day. Actually it was cool, about 45 degrees when we left Stettlen. There was a 20% chance of rain, so we took our umbrellas with us. Luckily we didn't need them as it didn't rain at all. It did get warmer too, maybe up to 65 degrees. Why did I bring 3 pair of shorts with me?
There are about a dozen really old fountains around old town. We took some pics, but because it was so dark because it was cloudy and we were between tall buildings, they didn't come out too good. We saw the old clock that was built in 1530 and still works. We went to the bear pits( famous in Bern) to see the bears. We had lunch. We looked at a few churches. Then back to the train station, after a beer in an outside cafe, to our hotel.
On Tuesday morning, we drove out to Murten, which is a small town still surrounded by a medieval wall. It is a really cool little town. They have an old clock
The largest church in Bern The largest church in Bern The largest church in Bern

I climbed to the top of the tower, over 350 steps on a circular stairway.
tower with a clock from the 1500's. There is a resturant at street level and part of the lease says that they have to wind the clock everyday. They have been doing it since 1712! After a good look around and lunch, we drove over to Avenches, which has a Roman amphitheater and other Roman ruins here and there. We were walking on Roman walls that were built in the first century AD! How cool is that!
We then drove back to Stettlen for a rest and dinner. Tomorrow, we head over to the east side of Lake Geneva, to Montreux, back to the French speaking side of Switzerland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The top of one of the fountainsThe top of one of the fountains
The top of one of the fountains

These fountain tops were made in the 1600's and are still looking great today!
The Roman amphitheater in AvenchesThe Roman amphitheater in Avenches
The Roman amphitheater in Avenches

In its heyday, this amphitheater sat almost 20,000 people


28th September 2010

Looks like they have sleeping bags on them.
28th September 2010

Where DID I park that car?Hah hah hah!!
30th September 2010

Why on earth did you take shorts with you to Switzerland. Didnt you kn ow they have snow there?

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb