Fantastic day at the Top of Europe


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
June 8th 2013
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

En route to JungfraujochEn route to JungfraujochEn route to Jungfraujoch

Jungfrau, Eiger and Monch in the distance
Geo: 46.6859, 7.83068

We did the Jungfraujoch as planned and what a spectacular day it has been.

Alarm was set for 6.30 and we caught the 7.45 bus into Interlaken, walked along to the tourist info bureau to buy our tickets as they opened, followed by a stroll along to the station in order to catch the 8.35 train bound for the top. It takes over two and a half hours in total with a couple of train changes along the way to reach the end of the line at 'Top of Europe' being the highest railway station in the continent at over 11,000'.

The weather was bright and sunny though the temperature noticeably dropped as we climbed, putting on more layers as we went. Some were clearly not prepared for the climatic changes of altitude! One guy had his photo taken wearing flip flops and what looked like a tea towel wrapped around his waist - must have done it for a bet, I guess.

We arrived at the top (the last 40 minutes or so are in a tunnel, so not for claustrophobics), and followed the suggested route around the various features. The Sphinx outdoor observation platform provides an almost 360 degree panorama of the snow covered mountains which was awesome.

The other features to explore include an exhibition paying tribute to those who lost their lives, including several Italians, during the construction of the initial route over 100 years ago, an ice palace displaying a number of sculptures (this has to be chilled down to the appropriate temperature in view of the tourists passing through), outdoor snow terrace and for those keen on active snow sports, skiing and other snow related activities.

We descended by train opting to return by the suggested optional route via Grindelwald. Not quite so scenic and photogenic, but striking all the same with the Eiger as the prime backdrop. By this time, clouds were beginning to gather on some of the peaks as predicted so it was just as well that we seized the opportunity to do this today.

After a bit of grocery shopping in the Coop we caught the next bus back to camp - I tidied up, started tea whilst David went out on his bike for an hour. Later we Skyped Lou and Olley to catch up on our news (we had to move up to the recreation area to get an adequate signal) for the first time, so that was great. (The wonders of technology!)

Not sure what tomorrow will bring since we did not have the wonderful sunset this evening and we could have some rain overnight. Never mind, we have had a day to remember for the rest of our lives which is what this trip is all about.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



9th June 2013

Hi U2. Picture reminds me of when we went to Lake Maggiore and went over Swiss border to visit Zermatt and the Matterhorn - great views off the top. Paul's been watching the weather - quite a lot of flooding over different parts of Europe.
Been to Mum's, she misunderstood Kate and said you had been skydiving! Think we've sold the house. X

Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb