On the Glacier Express


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Zermatt
July 27th 2019
Published: July 27th 2019
Edit Blog Post

When we awoke this morning the fog was lifting and the sun was starting to shine through. So after breakfast we returned to the lake for a few quick pictures before continuing on our journey. Today was another travel day, traveling to Zermatt, but only part of the trip was by bus. For six hours we enjoyed the ride on the well known Glacier Express. A fun way to celebrate our 51st wedding anniversary.

The Glacier Express was anything but a express. We had lunch on the train consisting of rice, carrots and a goulash type dish with apple pie for dessert. We slowly made our way up and over the mountain into the town of Zermatt which allows no gas powered vehicles. Only pedestrians, bike, and electric cars are allowed on the streets. My first reaction was that Zermatt had a party or carnival atmosphere. We checked into our room and then met our tour director for a quick walk though town for some direction as to things to see tomorrow. The pleasant surprise was to see the Matterhorn. The mountain is often shrouded in clouds, but even though our day had been one of intermittent rain the clouds had parted and the mountain top was fully visible. From there we wandered down to the English Church where the English mountaineers are buried. It was a quaint church and we even chatted with the chaplain of the church and left with his blessing.

Leaving the church we searched out a place for dinner.

Tomorrow weather permitting we will head to the Klein Matterhorn.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb