Lucerne


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Lucerne
May 13th 2009
Published: May 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Lion MonumentThe Lion MonumentThe Lion Monument

Pete and Margret at the Lion
Hi All

Today Margret took us to Lucerne, a great little city about 1 and a bit hours away. It is located on Lake Lucerne, and as you would expect, has hundreds and hundreds years of history.

We visited the lion monument that was carved in 1820-21 to commemorate Swiss guards who gave their lives trying to protect the French Royal family during the French Revolution - needless to say a number lost their lives. As I have said before, I am not a student of art, but the size and detail of the lion is amazing.

Following this we went for a wander through the town and its many shops - managed to find and sample some great Swiss Chocolate. As usual with Swiss towns, it clean, tidy and organised - with history all around. People seem to be busy but not rushed. The town also included another large, and elaborate Catholic Church, with amazing art work on the roof - the fancy name for this art escapes me at present. A really nice town.

We parked out of the town, so we had a nice walk along the lake on the way back to the car - even if the weather was turning nasty. The trip back included a crossing of the famous Kapellbrücke bridge that cuts across the river in the town. The bridge dates back to the 1300's but most was re-built in 1993 after a fire.

Another great day - but we were tied by days end!!






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Lucerne - JackoLucerne - Jacko
Lucerne - Jacko

The story goes that Michael Jackson was interested in this.


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 14; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb