Strolling in the rain


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden
June 19th 2009
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 59.3327, 18.0645

The holiday started off well in the Lounge at Heathrow Terminal 5 after a quick check in. The flight was good and it was easy to get a taxi from the airport. After checking in to the hotel which is nice and central but very bland international style we had our first beer of the day in Stockholm and then proceeded to explore.We were told the place to go was the Gamla Stan which is the old town. The Royal Palace was enroute but as it was 5pm this was closed. The cobbled streets are fine and medival but this is not Italy. Architecure is rather imposing and dour with few photo opportunities. Of course the place is also expensive but a beer outside a bar costs about the same as central London. It rained but we persevered under the brollies in true Brit style. Later we found a restaurant in the old town, Restaurang JT,and had excellent food butthe bill was at least £50 a head especially as we had wine. The rain started to be quite heavy so we had to do a dash back to the hotel, where we piled into one room and consumed the duty frees.
The following day the sun came out so after a hearty and good breakfast in the hotel we walked to the Royal Palace. We bought a ticket for the whole lot but I would recommend the Treasury if you are stuck for time as this contains beautifule princess crowns. The State rooms and Guest rooms were rather dingy and the whole place could have done with a good clean. It was not helped by having all the curtains closed and poor lighting. After we saw the Changing of the Guard which happens at 12.15pm.The Royal Family no longer live there (not surprising!) but they still do the Changing of the Guard.Lunch was disappointing and still expensive.However it was time to get to our ship The Silver Cloud. Embarkation was very smooth the welcome Champagne was very welcome. The Verndah Suite with balcony was a good size so it was everybody in one room for yet more champagne before an excellent dinner. Yet more drinks in the Piano bar post dinner and away we sailed from Stockholm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb