4 days in Sweden


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden
June 16th 2014
Published: June 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post


M and R at the lake
So we arrived finally in Gothenburg and jumped straight onto a tram out of the city towards an area we had seen on google maps that looked like a good countryside type spot (topelsgaten tram 5). It only took about 15 minutes and we found ourselves in the middle of a residential area with not much idea where to go!



After a slightly worried walk into what we assumed where the woods nearby we stumbled upon quite possibly the best Imaginable camping spot. (After scaring ourselves that we had seen a bear which turned out to be a large overturned tree and it's roots!)



We set up next to an amazing lake (with water clean enough to drink) surrounded by forests, which I can only describe as something out of a film. We didn't think we would find anywhere quite so lovely!



We sat and had a drink enjoying the views and where shocked by how little dark there is. It gets dark really late and by 3 in the morning it's getting light. You can almost watch the sun set and rise at the same time. It's quite surreal.


Our camp


We spent most of our 3-4 days in Sweden at the lake, feeling very content. We found a nearby shop and bought some chicken and rice to make our first meal cooked on our camping stove (cheap attachment for a gas bottle) and ended up with a surprisingly good meal that was well overdue. Although the beer you buy in Sweden from normal shops is capped at 3.5% which makes it taste watered down!



By chance we found a fishing hook and some line tangled in some bushes and after some DIY fishing rod making using a large stick we where soon fishing. We got a few bites (the fish seemed very good at taking the bait) but failed to get any fish out of the water! (Though Marc did end up in the water after the ground gave way beneath his feet!). We also saw lots of crayfish crawling about the rocks.



It's also worth noting that our view of Scandinavians was reinforced by our time in Sweden. So many of them are attractive it's unreal. And Sweden is full of some of the nicest people I've had the pleasure to come

The lake at dawn
in contact with. Everyone speaks perfect English (with an English not American accent!) and they are all more than willing to step in and help you out. We've really been won over by the Swedish people and there attitude towards life. I think we'd all be happy to stay here for the entire month! What a wonderful place.



Oh and the whole Swedish naked thing proved to be rather true as well. Despite being by a lake and not a beach we've seen a LOT of naked people! Mainly topless but several full on nude sunbathers and skinny dippers, both male and female. There doesn't seem to be the same self conscious worry that we have in the uk. It's quite nice that people are so open.



We've had a great time sitting by the fire listening to music, talking with all the friendly swedes and enjoying nature.



We did have a moment when some Romanian gypsies came over pretending to fish and taking a real interest in what valuables they might be able to see in our tents, with a young boy having a real good look. But we made

Having a curry in Gothenburg
it clear we where not intimidated by them and they soon cleared off. We had to be careful not to leave any of our stuff unattended from that point onwards though.



Then earlier today we met with an elderly expat gentlemen who sat with us by the lake and talked away about the football, politics and Sweden. He's invited us to come for dinner with him and his family when we return to Sweden after we've been in Norway and to join a few other expats to watch the England game.



Then, being us, we missed both trains to Norway today and have now settled into a hostel for a nights decent accommodation before we leave tomorrow. We have to clean the room ourselves in the morning and don't get bed sheets unless we pay extra, but it's cheap and has a good location so it's not the end of the world!



We've just come back from a cool little rooftop bar where the barman kept the bar open for us due to how late it was by the time we found it!



We couldn't have wished for

Our hostel room
a better time and think we would all like to return to Sweden soon. It's a fantastic country with some of the loveliest people and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Advertisement



16th June 2014

So far..
Am loving reading about this trip and Sweden sounds amazing and from your photos looks absolutely beautiful
16th June 2014

Wow!
Sounds really beautiful! Glad you are having such a great time!

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb