Hoga Kusten (High Coast)


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden
May 28th 2010
Published: May 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

28 May 2010

It was still very dull and misty in the morning but fortunately the rain had stopped. The campsite internet connection was broken so we went into town and with the assistance of a very helpful lady in the library were able to get a sign on code via text message to be able to use the local community network. A first for us.

Having done that we continued northward and the first thing we came to was the Norbygen, at 1210m span between the pylons, the ninth longest suspension bridge in the world. It carries the coastal road, the E4, over Angermanalven fiord and is free to use.

We then left the main road to look at part of the Hoga Kusten (High Coast) which was not at its best in the dull weather. It is an area of complicated coast line with many inlets, hills, lakes and islands. During the Ice Age it sank under the weight of the ice and is now rising again at 8mm per year.

The rest of the day was spent moving up the coast to Umea and then heading inland along a pleasant road by the river Umealven to Lycksele.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb