Last Day with The Calgarian Lad


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
April 10th 2015
Published: April 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Stockholm City CentreStockholm City CentreStockholm City Centre

One picture from the top of the walkout thing.
Our first official day in Stockholm was a beauty... This is like the second last blog I can say the words 'our' and 'we' as Shawn left this morning to go onto Lund.

Anyways, it was an eventful first day in this large and crowded, but beautiful city. We ventured out of the hostel towards Gamla Stan (Old Town) where my friend and ex-kegger had suggested we go the day before. Wandering through the enchanted, cobblestone streets, we crossed many souvenir shops, each boasting there trinkets, and many cafés and restaurants boasting their menus. It was really really pretty and you get a very secluded feeling; hard to believe as the hustle and bustle of the city centre is just meters away.

We wander over a bridge to another island and Shawn stops to get his Swedish Chicken McNuggets (don't ask, he's eating some in every country he goes to ((not Iceland though if he was going there, ha ha))).

We cross the street and run up 119 steps to a street above in order to walk out on this lookout point, somewhat to my disapproval, but as Shawn would say, "When in Rome!"

It was actually
StockholmStockholmStockholm

And a different direction off the walk out thing.
an impressive view of the city centre, and much more sturdy than I originally thought!

It was nearing time that we were due to meet Brayden (the ex-kegger turned Math teacher in Sweden), so we headed back to Gamla Stan T-Bana (Tunnelbana a.k.a Metro or subway) station to meet him.

He brought his girlfriend Johanna from Uppsala (which I will now be visiting on Sunday), and we set off our own version of a Stockholm walking tour. It was super nice to be shown around by someone who generally knows where they're going and has some insight into the city and its history, so Brayden, because I know you're reading, thank you muchly for that!

We walked a scenic sea walk past the Grand Hotel Stockholm (which apparently Obama entirely rented out when he visited) towards the island Djurgården. We sat down at a waterside café and watched Brayden and Johanna eat lunch because we're poor travellers and had already eaten (aha I'm kidding, it was nice, good conversation!)

After taking a picture to send back to the keg, we parted ways and Shawn and I decided to hit up the nearby Vasamuseet (Vasa Museum).
Music StoreMusic StoreMusic Store

Really glad we decided to check this place out, it was unreal !

And oh my god was that an incredible experience! A little background info for you...

Vasa was a ship that was built in 1626 and sank on its maiden voyage in 1628 in the Stockholm harbour. 333 years later, it was brought above water again, and restoration began. So basically, there's a really freakin old, and really freakin huge ship, and they built a museum around it, and about it. It was definitely one of the coolest things I've ever seen. The museum consisted of 6 different floors with a massive amount of information and artifacts on each, from the clothes that were found, to reminants of the masts of the ship, to in-depth descriptions of all of the statues mounted around the ship. Really really really cool... I'm pretty sure I have a million pics of it, I'll upload a select few.

After spending almost 3 hours inside, we walked the hefty walk back to the hostel and chatted with François for a little before he was due to leave for Copenhagen. We ended up saying why not, and headed to a nice Italian restaurant for dinner; prosciutto pizza, a glass of pino grigio and cappuccino for
VasaVasaVasa

Yes those are people down there at the bottom, the ship is freakin' massive!
dessert for me 😊 It was a bitter sweet meal (metaphorically) as François took off to his train that night, and it was the last dinner that Shawn and I would have together as well. Very good nonetheless, and a great time with new friends!

Back to the hostel for us, and straight to bed after a long day of walking and exploring... Goodnight Stockholm!

Whoa whoa, I almost forgot about this unreal music store that we stumbled upon before we met with Brayden. It was run by this guy and had a ton (not a good descriptive word to use when talking to ESL people, as proved by Madeline) of signed guitars and regular guitars, and acoustic guitars, and electric guitars, and bass guitars, and other peoples' guitars being fixed. And oh ya, then a bunch of cymbals, a wall of snare drums and many kits stacked up and spread out in the floor. Also a super cool place!

-NB


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Vasa SelfieVasa Selfie
Vasa Selfie

While standing on, I kid you not, the Selfie Spot #Vasamuseet
KeggersKeggers
Keggers

Brayden and I!
PizzaPizza
Pizza

True European sized pizza, too big for the plate ;)
Cappuccino Cappuccino
Cappuccino

Love it. ?


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0796s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb