Stockholm


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
September 11th 2007
Published: September 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Typical side street in Soderman, StockholmTypical side street in Soderman, StockholmTypical side street in Soderman, Stockholm

This area was fabulous. Loads of small galleries, cafes and jewelry shops. My kind of place!
We needed to take a train from Copenhagen-via Malmo, overnight to Stockholm. We had grand ideas of our couchette being rather luxurious (it had cost us £80 for the 5 hours trip)....sadly it was a 6 sleeper cabin with zero extras and in fact was exactly like to roudy ski train we took 2 years ago (minus the hectic night of boozing!)

Malmo we thought was still in Denmark and only when we bought a juice and offered our Danish kroners, were we kindly updated by the chap that we were in fact in Sweden now and were paying with the wrong money! We can be excused by the fact that the train from Copenhagen to Malmo had taken a whopping 30min!

We arrived bright and breezy in Stockholm at 6am and unfortunately could not check into our boat hostel until 2pm. So we walked the city flat, amazing how mucgh you can see when you have hours to kill.
I think that Stockholm is now one of my favourite cities.There is tons to do and it is beautiful. Water everywhere, great shopping, cycling, beautiful old city and hundreds of islands.

In the end we spent 3 full days and two nights there, and am sad to say that we never took a ferry to one of the islands further away. Weather was colder than we had anticipated and obviously it is more expensive than Eastern Europe, so we decided to push on rather. A trip in July/Aug would be incredible and I only wish we could have experienced swimming, boating etc that would be on offer. If you haven't been before- definitely add it to your travel lists!!!

We walked so much and also caught the metro, which is incredible quick and reliable. The metro tickets work well in that once you have stamped your card and caught a line, you then have free travel on the buses etc for an hour after the time stamp. So you don't keep paying constantly- great value.

I am enjoying the cafes and the fact that we need to eat out for each meal. I get my full of wining and dining! but I am sure that poor Ken will miss cooking soon!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The biggest crab legs EVER!The biggest crab legs EVER!
The biggest crab legs EVER!

Great food hall called Saluhall in the city. Sell just about everything and had restautant type set up where people would stop by for lunch or coffee and cake.
Beautiful Old TownBeautiful Old Town
Beautiful Old Town

Just lovely here, with cobbled streets and great cafes....obviously really touristy but still fantastic
Skyline from the waterSkyline from the water
Skyline from the water

We stayed in a hostel on the water, or boat hotel as they call it. Woke up looking across the water to the city....what a view!
Water, water everywhere!Water, water everywhere!
Water, water everywhere!

I think Stockholm is now one of our best ever cities!! Has so much to offer and is magnificent!


18th September 2007

Agreed
Stockholm is amazing - we got engaged there so fully understand how you are so taken with it!!
20th September 2007

Greetings!
Wonderful to see all the photo's and to hear all the news! You lucky buggers :) Have a wonderful time and keep posting... Lots of Love, Joe
24th September 2007

You guys look great
Hi Mel and Ken. Enjoying the blogs again from you guys. Have never been to Scandinavia but you are great travel agents! Get some tartan scarves and keep warm! Michal xx

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb