So long Stockholm!


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
June 1st 2007
Published: June 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

1½ days later, we've made a gallant effort at seeing as much as possible. Today was fun-filled, but as usual, just not enough hours in the day (actually not enough hours that places stay open). The night in the hostel was good. Quiet, fun, clean. The showers were GREAT (those big Euro rain showers). We started the day at the Nobel museum in Gamla Stan. Something different... Alfred Nobel is actually from Stockholm, and when he died he had no children, so (with the massive fortune he'd amassed from numerous inventions, especially dynamite), he established the Nobel Prize. The museum was small but actually kind cool.

From there we ran over to see the Changing of the Guard. This one came with a cool marching band. Supposedly, little groups of teenage boys in their local unit come in each day to do the changing of the guard -- like a field trip. From there we went to the Royal Armory museum. That was right up my alley. Blood-stained clothes from Sweden's bloody history of king-deaths, the preserved skin of one of the king's horses, and little mini-gowns for child royalty.

That was a hop, skip, and a jump
The udders!The udders!The udders!

This is how they put ketchup and mustard on the hot dogs (that are sold almost every 10 feet!) This city has more hot dog and ice cream vendors than anything else!
to the Taste of Stockholm festival. Stopping there for a quick bite to eat of some traditional fish sandwich, we made it over the Tourist office to find out we need to go to the train station to get an overnight train -- Stockholm's almost completely booked for the night! At the train station we bought 2 overnight tickets in 6-bed cars to Malmo leaving tonight at 23:05 for about 70 bucks. We took the metro from the train station -- that was cool! A few of the metro stations are so decorated inside they're like their own museums! Cool wall-art and random statues.

By that time it was around 4:30, so we walked around, got an ice cream (their soft ice cream here is awesome! It's like soft gelato! Love it...mmm....). With our Stockholm card that gave us free admission to all the museums, we had a free boat tour too. That was about an hour and was a nice overview of the area. Not quite the archipelgo tour (which takes about 2.5 hours and is not included with the card), but still cool. Then we hopped on a public bus (suprisingly easy!) and made our way towards
Ikea sweets?Ikea sweets?Ikea sweets?

They make look like those yummy little poof balls of marshmallow they sell at Ikea, but they're not. Filled with some kind of chocolate butter cream. Good but not what I was looking for...
Skansen (a lot like Williamsburg). We made it there so late that only a few things were open, but it was a nice walk around. They have a zoo in the back (with reindeer!) and tons of little homesteads with staff dressed from that era doing things from that era (knitting, making wool, chopping wood). It had been SOOOO cold during the day (a REALLY strong wind!) and very overcast, but by 7pm it was getting nice! So even though most of the place was closed, it was really beautiful. Great views of the city! And there was one little shop open selling waffles. mmm... I finally had cloudberry jam, apparently some kind of jam specific to this area. It's yummy!

We wended our way back down to the bus and made it back to the hostel to pick up our bags, shower, and here I am now using the free internet for one last time. 😊 We leave soon on our next adventure to the south of Sweden (a stone's throw to Copenhagen!). Not sure what we'll do down there, but I'm sure we'll have fun! Stay tuned for the next edition...


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Changing of the GuardChanging of the Guard
Changing of the Guard

This was the best I could get of the changing of the guard. I took a bunch of video (mom and dad appreciate that kind of thing) but it was hard to catch on camera with all those big heads in front of me.
Graduation WEEKGraduation WEEK
Graduation WEEK

We saw these trucks/convertibles of teens wearing white hats. When they graduate their version of high school they all celebrate by wearing those white hats and riding around the city all day as a mobile dance club, blasting music and dancing, drinking, and honking the horn constantly. It's entertaining to watch and sure beats our graduation parties!
Royal miceRoyal mice
Royal mice

In the Royal Armory museum there were these little mouse statues all over wearing a swedish sash and crown. Not sure what that was supposed to be, but interesting...
KnightsKnights
Knights

What else should there be in an armory but armor!
MetroingMetroing
Metroing

The metro station is actually in the guide books as something to see. It's a nice ride too!
MetroingMetroing
Metroing

There were these statues and weird gargoyles (you can see one in the background) all over the station. At this point we were at least 5 floors underground.
MetroingMetroing
Metroing

They had a couple of little parks like this in the metro...
MetroingMetroing
Metroing

Some of the ceiling paintings -- this was above the escalator (which was almost as long as the Bethesda escalator!)
Not the palaceNot the palace
Not the palace

A view from the boat tour. At some point the navy (theirs I'm assuming) mistook this building for the Royal Palace. That's how overcast it was today though. ick.
The palaceThe palace
The palace

The actual Royal palace
AmbianceAmbiance
Ambiance

A view from the boat
SkansenSkansen
Skansen

The colors were so vibrant! Hard to even capture that on film...
Swedish dancingSwedish dancing
Swedish dancing

At Skansen we caught a little bit of the show of some traditional swedish dancing...
mmm cloudberriesmmm cloudberries
mmm cloudberries

That's the waffle in the front with cloudberry jam, and check out the bird on the table. They were so aggressive they came right up to the plate and tried to take the food! I've never seen a sparrow do that!
Swedish geese?Swedish geese?
Swedish geese?

Not quite canadian geese and not as aggressive, but I think this is the Swedish version...
Reindeer gamesReindeer games
Reindeer games

They were lazy, but they were reindeer! Fuzzy little antlers...
The view from the topThe view from the top
The view from the top

It actually wasn't that dark but I had to play with the shutter speeds because the sun was coming straight at me.


3rd June 2007

HI
SOUNDS LIKE YOUR HAVING A GREAT TIME, I AM ENJOYING READING ABOUT IT. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE PICS OF YOU HAVING FUN I SAW ONE PIC OF YOU. BE SAFE!!!
3rd June 2007

Hi
Hey cuz, I am so jealous...it sounds like you are having a great time...I am enjoying reading this, so keep it up...hope to see you soon...
4th June 2007

Royal Mice
I love that little mouse. Sounds like things are a blast doc. Keep the blog coming.
5th June 2007

Dad wants to know if there's an age limit at the hostel. He wants to go. lol.
5th June 2007

Age limit
There's no age limit at the one's I've been staying at. Some have families, and in fact, in my room tonight there's a woman who looks like death warmed over.

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 17; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0998s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb