Ceuta, Spanish Morroco


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
May 2nd 2005
Published: May 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Ceuta, Spanish Morroco
Though it’s a holiday, and most things are closed, we have enjoyed our day. It’s a three day holiday in celebration of May Day , much like our Veterans Day. There was a parade held in the square where we watched the military band play and wondered who the dignitaries were, and at the time, why the parade. (We didn’t find out until later on the ship.) John and I spent the morning walking along the promenade by the sea, observing the differences in here and America. It is hard not to sound like an ungrateful American when you first arrive in Europe, with its different attitude and cultures, with its history, and ancient architecture and art surrounding you.
Observations
We eat a “no fat, low calorie, no carb diet “ yet are fat. Obese. They eat what they please fat, cream, and breads galore. I would say 90%!o(MISSING)f the population is fit.The only things that stand out in my mind, everyone walks, they take a siesta each day, less stress, take time to enjoy their family, and don’t eat processed foods, they eat fresh each day.
Lots of runners here, odd for Europe. John really, really wanted to buy running shoes here, but it’s a holiday.

The promenade we walk along is teeming with families on foot or bike, it follows the water what seems like forever. There is a huge public swimming facility with 4 large pools, with waterfalls and palm trees, restaurants and bars , racquet clubs and a monster play area for basketball, rollerblading and playground. The area is packed children are outside running and playing, not giving their thumbs a workout playing x box.
John and I took the bus into town walked the tile promenade until we got nearer the border of Africa and back, then we amble down a few side streets into the town squares. We decided to walk back to the ship about 30 minutes away. On the walk back we stopped and shared a beer and pistachios on the dock of the bay.
This morning we sunned on deck while overlooking the rock of Gilbralter.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb