Let's Go For a Walk


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
June 19th 2011
Published: June 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I thought about calling this Blog entry "From Hospital" but was afraid that you would all fear the worst. Actually, tonight we are camping in Hospital de Orbigo, a small town that has one of the oldest bridges in Spain with 20 arches stretching over 200 meters.

It's 5:14 p.m. We are sitting outside in the street, having just finished a delightful meal on a lovely Sunday evening. Bill celebrated Father's Day with a beer, which I am now drinking😊

The ride today was notable for its climbing (yes, again) and its scenery. For the first 20 kms. we climbed through a number of very small villages (pueblos) with cobblestone streets and small beautfiul churches. I probably walked about 2 km of mountain (thus, the title of this blog entry) as it was way too steep for Lady and her load. Near the top of the mountain at Manjarin, we met Tomas, who runs a "refuge," offering hot tea and coffee and cookies. He rings his bell every so often, calling the pilgrims to his refuge. (He is also noted for the number of cats that wander through his stone cabin, cats whose faces he paints red. Don't ask, I have no idea). Wonderful rest stop; I even bought a small Camino magnet.

From there it was an easy 40 kms. downhill here to Hospital. All in all, one of the most beautiful rides we've ever taken, reminiscent of the Swiss Alps, complete with cows wearing their melodious bells. Tomorrow, it's a short ride to Leon, where we will probably take advantage of another auberge.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb