Sleeping in a Convent


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León
June 20th 2011
Published: June 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Cathedral of LeonCathedral of LeonCathedral of Leon

Famous for its stain glass of about 60% of the surface.
Here we are in a convent with 123 other people (and a whole bunch of nuns), sleeping in bunk beds above a couple we’ve never met (and who probably don’t speak English).

We arrived here in Leon at about 10:30 this morning, after a short ride over relatively flat land on a fairly busy road that provided a wide shoulder most of the way into the city.
A stop at the Officina de Turisma revealed that there was an albergue just a few minutes walk from the center of town. It opened at 11 a.m.. When we arrived at 10:45, there were 40-50 perigrinos lined up, waiting to enter. We added our bikes to the line and were checked in by 11:45 or so.

The albergue is run by the convent and a number of volunteers. They carefully check each person who enters, making sure that they have their pilgrim credentials and other identification. They charge nothing, asking only for a donation, which we gladly gave based solely on the fact that we knew they had hot showers!! We were assigned adjoining top bunks, matrimonial sleeping, it’s called. Lady and the Tramp were given their own accommodations-- outside, of course.

After showering, we took advantage of the lavandora (washing machine) and then walked into town for dinner. We occasionally comment that we have not yet had a “bad” meal. (Unlike in china where we really didn’t enjoy the food.) Tonight the pilgrim special even included an “appetizer,” along with my favorite soup and the ubiquitous pork. Dessert was some kind of French toast type of thing with whipped cream. The real kicker was that they offered sangria or wine with the meal. I chose sangria and am now hooked. Bill ordered wine and they gave him an entire bottle -- which we did not totally consume!

Because yesterday was Sunday, we could not buy any groceries, so we stocked up here in Leon and also purchased Bill a more modest pair of shorts for sleeping.

The highlight of the day, however, was the cathedral. Erected in the 13tth and 14th centuries, it features more than 1800 square meters of stained glass windows. Amazing! We toured it after dinner, inspired by its classic Spanish gothic style. So inspired, in fact, that we are now planning to attend the 9:30 Vespers Service conducted by the convent specifically for the perigrinos. That is, if we can stay awake that late.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.335s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb