The Kitchen Opens at 9 (p.m. that is)


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
June 7th 2011
Published: June 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Bill and I had to discuss what to title today's blog. We thought about "Into the Mountains," but you're probably tired of hearing about the mountains. Then I thought of "Jackets On, Jackets Off" cause it was that kind of day, But I settled for "The Kitchen Opens at 9" cause that gives you a glimpse into the Spanish culture.

First of all, "into the mountains." We are in the Ibor section of Spain, west of Madrid. We had our longest climbs yet today, but our legs were feeling strong as we ascended and descended through a number of switchbacks throughout the day. (We kinda wish we had an altimeter so we'd know how many feet we climbed today.) At one point, we wondered if maybe we were going to have some really slow going all day as the road, for about 10 kilometers, was quite rough, with potholes and a deteriorated surface. However, the rest of the day found us on smooth roads, not really wide enough for two cars, but I think we saw only two cars! In two different towns, we asked for directions and, in spite of the language barrier, were able to find our way with little difficulty.

Next, "jackets on, jackets off." When we left Trujillo (after changing a flat on Lady) the sun was shining, so it was jackets off. A few kilometers out of town, the clouds covered the sun and it was jackets on. All day long, the sun played peek-a-boo with the clouds; between that and the climbing and descending, we often found ourselves stripping and then re-dressing just a few kilometers later.

As for "the kitchen opens at 9." We arrived in the town of Bonhal de Ibor at about 2:30. Got a room in this hotel (can hardly wait until we have more camping options) and just chilled for a couple of hours -- showered. washed the clothes, napped, etc. Then, of course, our tummies began their daily rumble. The hotel is just above a bar/restaurant. The bar is open; the kitchen does not open until 9 p.m. So my stomach is going to be grumbling for another hour or two. Maybe an apple will hold me over😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb