Albarracin


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
April 19th 2006
Published: October 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Once upon a time, a large boy spent a day in a forest of pine, with red sandstone boulders and grassy clearings. At 1300m altitude, it was beautifully warm (25-28 deg) with the sun out, but cooller when the odd cloud passed over. He climbed some hard and very fun boulders and that pleased him greatly. It was one of his best climbing days ever, which was great because it was also his birthday.

In the evening, his friends, recently back from Morocco, made a Tajine feast, which they gorged on late into the night... Again he was very pleased. It prompted him to write some artsy fartsy description of the area, which I have included the transcript below:

"A Spattering of dappled light penetrates the sparse pine forest lighting up sections of red sandstone. Light coloured lichenous streaks and white chalk contrast with the house-sized red boulders. Beyond a light breeze through the pine needles, one hears the faint panting and slapping noises, the scuffing of a foot, “Venga, Alles”, and often, a crash followed by cries of frustration in various languages.
Groups of boulderers move like small herds through the trees and clearings, systematically cleaning and grazing on an array of featured problems.
The area has a high concentration of roof problems, which sets it aside from areas like Fontainebleau. The problems are generally powerful, on good holds, and often with difficult mantle topouts."

Then, tired of trying to be artsy, he decided to sleep and go rock-climbing, never again returning to the intention of finishing his new work...

...and that's all I have to say about that...


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.735s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 29; qc: 127; dbt: 0.234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb