How the kilometers fly.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
October 18th 2010
Published: October 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello all,
Today Helen and I plodded into a small town called Hosptial de Orgigo. This adventure continues in ways that are still lovely and still challenging. When i last wrote i mentioned we were in an alberge that had a Canandian lady who was a volunteer hostelier Well lesson number one, if they start talking about bed bugs even when they say no they do not have them they do. Helen became a victim and my country man proceed to claim she must have brought them with her, then she added they had just fumigated the night before. Despite the bugs we had an unreal evening. We all help make a meal salad and a delicious soup with big chunks of spicy sausage. Prior to the meal we gathered and did a little praying everyone giving their shot in their own lanuage it was lovely. Then we stated why we were on the Camino and held hands in a minute of silence. Helen gave a lovely rendition of a maori greeting and got a standing ovation. So all round a preety good start to the evening. Helen and a man from Belgium where in fine form and everyone was trying to communicate in Japanese, korenan, french Spainish and English. I got the joy of doing the dishes and it was fun.
Life lesson number two. I did have some misgivings about the hand holding as my buddy the French man had not looked well. Lesson number two trust your instincts on all maters related to health and bugs. All day long my stomach felt like it was sailing on the high seas did not settle down until we took a rest day just after Leon. Lesson number two beautiful places and especially cities are better seen on a strong somach, thank heavens for a good cup of tea here and there. We had decided to bus through the industrial area of Leon as it was hell just pounding the pavement for kilometers which left us time to enjoy the cathederal and get out on the other side. By then I had been walking for 19 days with out a break so we decided to take a day of rest. We lucked out found a really nice aubergue that once was a school and i slept Helen read and practised her Spanish.
Today we had planned to walk 20 kilometers and had researched the route, we had talked to other pilgrims we consulted 3 different guide books. Up bright and early and we thought we had the way worked out instead we were on the alternate route and had to totally replan our day. So 30 plus kilometers after our wrong turn we ended up tired and ready to stop. There is front of us was a hostel called the Kangaroo, now what could be more friendly and inviting. We went in knowing it would be a bit more but we were pooped. I left Helen in the Bar and went to look at the rooms - they would do the rough out back of Australia okay but I was not willing to put my butt onto the beds. So we had a beer and hobbled down the road following directions from one of the patrons and found a lovely alburger for third of the price. Lesson number three the Camino does give you what you need. Well we think so today. Lesson number four guide books are just that loose guides to a direction mind you we saw some really beautiful country side and had a lovely lunch.
Bob Marley is on the Camino and can be heard at many a cafe, so familar and so universal I say go Bob. Well to you all, thanks for the comments and the emails. They are encouraging as Helen and i prepare for the asault on the mountains that are yet to be climbed before we descend into Santiago and are overcome with joy and bliss or sore feet which ever comes first. Anne

Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb