Off the flat land and into the hills


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
October 21st 2010
Published: October 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello all,
Tonight Helen and I are in a little town called Molinaseca just this side of Ponferrada. I must say since I last wrote we have had a fun time with sights and people we meet. This morning we were walking just as the sun rise started and huffed it up the hill to the CRuz de Ferro, where the tradition is that you leave your stone from home or a message at the cross. So I did my little bonfire and left the messages ladies. The midden of stones is really tall it must be at lease 15 feet high built of stones left over the years.
We carried on and reached a height of 1531 meters and then descended through some of the loveliest country down a attitude change of 900 meters my legs were a little sore. The towns and vegetation was such a change we had broom and gorse heather and rocks some really big ones. The hill towns suffered during the Franco era as he forced many families off the land and into appartments in the low country. Now many of those families are trying to rebuild and repair the houses. There are any number of enterprising hippy or alternative lifestyle people who have set themselves up and offer refreshment and dubious lodgings but most are really friendly and fun. We saw one group with a boat on a trailer that is pulled by a mule they sleep in the boat with two dogs and all sorts of things. They are on the Camino and heading up and over. I hope the mule can do it.
Last nights supper we had with a california couple, he is 73 and she is 68 they are doing the Camino for their 50 wedding anniversary. The man had grown up during the Franco era and could fill us in on all that meant for him and his family that was a great conversation.
The best part of the Camino is the walking despite the challenges. We are surprised at how few people are doing it in that the crowds at the moment seem to be light. No doubt i will eat those words.
Well by for now. Anne

Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb