Sierra de Gredos


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
February 19th 2006
Published: March 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So I went with my Anthro class through the Sierra de Gredos Mountains in Spain. There weren't a lot of touristy sites, but there were plenty of gorgeous views. We visited a very small village, Navalguijo (population:57) which our professor not only did his masters on, but also where he owns a summer house. As you can see in the pictures, Professor Kavanagh is very much like Santa Claus... jolly, with a big belly... We love him. We took our time with all our tasks and really enjoyed rural Spain.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Stone Bulls...Stone Bulls...
Stone Bulls...

I really don't remember much about these bulls other than they are over 4000 years old or something... Just REALLY old... and still standing
Lindsay and ILindsay and I
Lindsay and I

First of all.. it was REALLY hard getting on top of those bulls... Linds has bruises.. oh.. and Lindsay just happens to be from Clifton..
A walk up the Roman road...A walk up the Roman road...
A walk up the Roman road...

It was very cold.. and misty.. and windy.. If you can't notice we are on the top (or climbing to the top) of a mountain. The fog mad it impossible to see more than 10 feet maybe 20 feet i front of you. Sorta ruining the view, but creating a new kind of environment.
Continuing the walk.. Continuing the walk..
Continuing the walk..

We hiked up for 30 minutes.. in the rain... we were all soaked by the end.
Random Hotel...Random Hotel...
Random Hotel...

Okay so not exactly random, it is called a Parador in Spain.. it is a chain of hotels that are owned by the Spanish people. Most Paradores are old castles or royal palaces. Unfortunately, this was not our hotel. and it was very awkward walking around a hotel, pretending to belong, when we obviously didn't.
Stopping at the border...Stopping at the border...
Stopping at the border...

Stopping at the border of 2 Spanish provinces... You can see behind me... it's actually Castilla y Leon... it sorta looks like it could be... Cas Leon(g)... NOT Leon... anyway.. i thought it was cute.
Not a tourist thing...Not a tourist thing...
Not a tourist thing...

They gave us free food and drinks.. and we walked in the streets, listening to music and dancing... It was SO much fun!


20th March 2006

your professor's house
You can tell from the photo inside your professor's home that he loves it and loves being there.
31st March 2006

me gusta!
I like that picture of the "Not a tourist thing." Don't know why I like it so much, but it fascinates me! All your pictures through out all of your blogs are sooo awesome!!! Can't wait to see them in person! miss you! love you lots!

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0761s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb