Most of Stage 10 - Castro Urdiales to Liendo


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
April 12th 2009
Published: June 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 14


Saturday 11th April



Off on another day! The weather had improved somewhat on yesterday´s, with patches of sunlight now appearing in between showers.... Ponchos on, ponchos off, ponchos on.... While the weather continued to be challenging, the scenery was once again stunning, with lovely beaches and rolling green hills.



Our stop for the night was at a gorgeous little village called Liendo, and it was clear as we walked into town that this was a very wealthy little holiday area. Dav and I walked past a property where we saw a small little house, and then a massive yard and garden, with tennis court in the distance, and we were commenting what an unimpressive house for such a property and that it was probably the servants´ quarters... and then what should we see about 50m up but a maid coming out a gate and putting rubbish in the bin! We later learned that the town´s constant population was fairly small, with many many houses belonging to people from Madrid, who come up on holidays and stay in their country retreat. Lucky them!



Our guide had our
Gorgeous viewsGorgeous viewsGorgeous views

- Day 14 -
accomodation for the night at a ´polideportivo´ - a sports centre. We eventually found it but it was locked, and the bar in which we were meant to be able to collect the key, didn´t have the key... So we stayed at the bar for a while, having a drink and pondering our options. While waiting we met a lovely couple, Carol and Jose. Carol was originally from England and had lived in Spain for the last 40 years, and Jose was her very cheeky Spanish husband.



After a few hours at the bar, Ben went on an other exploration of the sports hall and found that there were a bunch of kids in the centre playing football, and they kindly let him in and showed him how to jimmy the locked door to get in! Apparantly all the kids in the area know how to make way into the hall and they all spend many an hour playing football and eating sunflower seeds. So we dragged our bags in, set up some mats on the floor as beds, watched them play for a while, and then headed back to the bar for dinner.



Carol and Jose were there again (obviously their ´local´) so we chatted to them for most of the night and watched the football on the TV. Crazy Jose kept buy us more drinks - the more he drunk, the more he shouted! So after a great night, and after swapping details and promises of more drinks in Australia when they come, we headed back to our classy accomodation for the night. It turned out to be quite an eventful night with the kids rocking up at some time in the late hours of the night for a little party. Ben politely told them in pigeon Spanish to bugger off as we were sleeping, which they did, but continued to party on otside. Wasn´t a problem though as all they were doing was having a few drinks and playing music (quite well actually) and it wasn´t loud enough to keep us awake. And we were warm and dry so that was all that mattered!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb