Swimming In the Med; Alicante


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
April 4th 2008
Published: April 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

beach entertainmentbeach entertainmentbeach entertainment

salsa drummers
Ever since India, where we cursed every layer we wore because of the boiling heat, we've only been confronted with the cold. From Germany's blizzards to Italy and France's chilly wind...it's just been too much. We made a mutual agreement to go someplace where we could sit in the sand and take a dip in the ocean. We were in Barcelona, where a warmth was beginning to submerge, but it wasn't quite hot enough for us. We looked at our map of Europe and it was; Alicante. Right down in the south of spain, just oozing with warmth 365 days a year. We looked at one another and it was agreed. Alicante would our next stop.
It was a five hour train ride from Barcelona. We took the 10am and watched "Hairspray" in Spanish on the way down the coast. We arrived in Alicante train station just after 3pm. As soon as we stepped off the train, the heat hit us. We immediately stripped down to our t-shirts amd began to walk towards the only water in sight.
Our initial reactions of Alicante were a bit hesitant. We knew in peak summer hours, in July and August, the town would be
chris by the beachchris by the beachchris by the beach

beautiful warm weather
packed with holidaymakers and party goers. But it was early April and it seemed on arrival, there wasn't a soul in sight.
We walked along the boardwalk and gradually we began to see more and more people, mostly Spanish. We hadn't done much research on Alicante and the only pictures we'd seen had been taken in peak touristy months. Although there weren't as many people as we had first imagined, walking under the many wonderful palm trees and right off of the mediteranean sea was something to cherish in itself.
As we searched helplessly for a hostel, asking strangers who never spoke any english for directions; we were beginning to think we'd made a mistake in coming at this time of the year.
After about 45 minutes of lugging our heavy packs around the city, we finally found a 'Hostal'. It was just off the main boardwalk, which we hadn't yet seen and owned by an elderly spanish couple. We checked in and tossed our packs in a corner of the room. The elderly couple did their best to explain which way "the beach" was, but in the end, we figured we'd be better off finding it ourselves. I left the hostal alone to find the beach while Chris stayed behind to wash some of his clothes in the sink. I was so eager to go swimming and lay in the sand, I just couldn't wait. He told me he'd meet me there.
I walked two minutes towards the main square and suddenly i was surrounded by people. There were little cafes and restaurants everywhere. Tourists and locals all blended in and walked up and down the streets shopping, or sitting in the bright sun. It took me 30 seconds to find the beach. There were thousands of people lying in the sand, suntanning or playing keep-ups with soccer balls. Families all set in large groups drinking beer and eating chips, listening to the spanish drum players that resounded from the centre of the beach. I planted my towel in the sand and ran into the blue sea. The water was cold but there were still loads of others basking in its depths. I drove head first and it felt perfect. I spotted Chris walking down the boardwalk searching through the masses for me. I waved him down and we both lay in the sun, reminiscing our time spent in Australia. It was wonderful.
When the sun began to set and the crowds began to disperse, we walked over to subway to pickup two steak and cheese subs. We sat at the marina watching the sun set over the countless yachts coming and going. As the sun descended, the cold emerged and we were forced to head back to our cozy beds. Slept beautifully.

Love from the Med.
Evan and Chris




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

the fountain the fountain
the fountain

allicante
evan in the medevan in the med
evan in the med

into the blue
castle on the hillcastle on the hill
castle on the hill

and naked boy front left


Tot: 0.37s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb