Barcelona- Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
April 1st 2008
Published: April 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had wanted to visit Spain for awhile, and when we got in touch with my cousin, Keegan, who was in Barcelona, we decided to meet up for a few days. Keegan, who is our age, has also been travelling for some time around Europe and we agreed that it would be nice to see a familiar face and relax for a few days. The train ride from Venice to Barcelona was long and we stopped in Montpellier for a few hours on the way. We were supposed to meet Keegan in the train terminal when we got in, but we had to jump on a different train at the last minute due to stike issues. We landed at a different station, feeling horrible because we knew Keegan was waiting at the other one for us and we had no way of getting in touch with him. Our only option was to meet him at his Hostel. We arrived late at night, and with only a name to the Hostel Keegan was staying at, we managed to find it after searching and asking around for a long time. We booked one night and found what room he was staying in. We woke him the next morning at 8am... but he had apparently just gone to bed after a long night so we let him sleep for a little while longer while Evan and I got something to eat and strolled around for awhile. Barcelona is a pretty city, but it all seems very new, at least for Europe. It may be because Barcelona hosted the Olympics not too long ago, but it wasnt the prettiest city we had seen... but it sure was fun. The night life in Barcelona is not to be missed. With hundreds of bars, pubs, clubs and men selling beer in the street, you are bound to find a good time somewhere. Our time in Barcelona was spent exactly how we wanted it; nice, easy, and relaxed. We visited Gaudi cathedral which is still being completed and Gaudi park. The cathedral, we agreed, was not the most beautiful monument we had seen. But Gaudi park was incredible. A large park located at the very top of Barcelona looking down over the city. There were children playing soccer, trumpet players, drummers, and parrots flying overhead. We climbed to the top of the park, at the "Three Crosses" and had an amazing view of the city below. Along the main drag in Barcelona, you will notice one very common thing, street performers, BUT most of them are not performing exactly. They dress in amazing costumes and pose along the street, for many hours at a time. Some are interresting, some are absolutely incredible. But all amusing to admire. We spent much time lazing at the harbour and watching the bridge split and turn to let large boats through. We even tried to stand on the bridge while it split and spun but we were asked (not very politely) to leave. It was a lot of fun meeting up with Keegan for those few days, and it was exactly what we needed. But now we feel like some beach and sun, maybe southern Spain? We will let you know.
Love,
Chris and Evan


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

ev and keegsev and keegs
ev and keegs

litre a beer
evan and keeganevan and keegan
evan and keegan

excited at gaudi cathedral
gaudi parkgaudi park
gaudi park

slightly more interresting
us at the topus at the top
us at the top

great view
unique gaudi architectureunique gaudi architecture
unique gaudi architecture

near the entrance of the park
keegs at a street pet shopkeegs at a street pet shop
keegs at a street pet shop

we wanted the turtle
keegan and his chinese budskeegan and his chinese buds
keegan and his chinese buds

he took a picture for them by the harbour


Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb