Valencia June 18, 2012


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Valencia
June 18th 2012
Published: June 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Barcelona Barcelona Barcelona

Morning market
Valencia (Valenthia) June 18, 2012

Today we departed Barcelona and headed toward Valencia, a 7 hour day on the road! Breakfast was another buffet and departure was promptly at 8:00 PM.

Today our riders had a test. We were assigned seats and were introduce to the Trafalgar tradition of rotation. The first problem is, no one really checked their seat number posted on the bus door so one were sitting in the right seat, thus requiring much changing and causing much laughter. But we soon figured it out the, well most of us did anyway. In any event we finally settled in and off we were.

Unfortunately, we learned that Richard had gotten sick last night. Something at dinner did not agree with Rick, so at 2AM he got sick and spent the rest of the night in the bathroom. He came to breakfast a little worse for wear, but determined to make the most of the bad situation. A light breakfast and water were helpful however he still felt poorly as we departed.

Our first stop was back to the centerof Barcelona and the Mercato (Market). This was an open market area selling fresh fruits, vegetables
PeniscolaPeniscolaPeniscola

no comment
meats and sweets. I bought a mixture of dried fruits, and nuts (27 euro) and an orange soda. Cathy and I walked the market and soon it was time to go and walk back to the bus for our next stop on the way to Valencia.

Our next stop was an Auto Grille, which is a rest stop on the highway. Here we had a store where there were many sweets to tempt and other excellent freshly prepared foods; and most importantly clean bathrooms. I enjoyed an espresso, Cathy had M&M’s (she needed chocolate). The weather was clear and bright with a temperature around 70, so an excellent day to be on the road.

Our next stop was the town of Peniscola. YES folks, that is right Peniscola! This was a beautiful seaside beach resort town. There were several beach locations, many places to shop and a plethora of options for dining. We walked around, took photos and ended up at a beachfront outdoor restaurant. He we tried white sangria (Excellent) and dined on Tapas of freshly fried sardines, Iberia Ham with cheese, a wet bruchetta and of course Pizza! The meal was shared with Rick and Alla
ValenciaValenciaValencia

City of Arts and Science
so we had the time to be together and enjoy the view. Rick was starting to feel better but he did not want to push his stomach, so we dined very lightly.

After lunch we walked around a little and then back to the bus for the ride to Valencia. Valencia was a pleasant surprise.

We left Peniscola for the two hour ride to Valencia. Many of us slept during this portion of the bus ride as there was not much to see and rest was very welcome. We were called to attend as we entered Valencia and were treated to an amazing site.

Many of us expected a small sleepy town noted for agriculture and old buildings. Nothing could be further from the truth. Valencia is an ultra modern city built from the profits of agriculture. Our first stop was the amazing City of Arts and Science.

About 20 years ago the city officials of Valencia rerouted a river around the city revealing a level, rich tract of land which they developed, and are still developing, into a huge entertainment complex. There was an ultra modern concert venue, a huge art museum, and even bigger
ValenciaValenciaValencia

city of arts and science
science museum followed by an aquarium, (the largest in Spain) and an IMAX theater which can hold 1700 people. All of this was surrounded by reflecting pools and landscaping designed to treat the eye and sooth the soul. There was also a garden exhibit and a huge indoor parking complex. It was very well thought out and a very pleasant location to explore. Soon our time here was up and we were back on the bus for the short ride to the old center of Valencia.

We stopped near the church of the Sacred Grail purported to be the resting place of the cup used by Christ at the last supper. The cathedral was beautiful with art work and carvings and statues from the 1500’s. We bought a walking tour complete with personal electronic explanations of the exhibits and we spent the next 45 minutes enjoying the art. Finally we entered the chapel of the Holy Grail and saw a cup made of Chinese agate surrounded by gold. Legend says this cup was taken by St Peter to Rome from the last supper, where is was protected until Pope Alexander VI (aka Rodrigo Borgia) returned the cup to Valencia,
ValenciaValenciaValencia

Cathedral of the Holy Grail
his home town. The cup has been here and venerated by many ever since. Note, I feel it is unlikely this was the actual cup of Christ but it was interesting to be in the presence of such a relic. Rick bought two of the cups, one for himself and one for a friend. I can see some strange drinking contest in the near future.

After the exploring the church, we walked around some more for local shopping. We soon came to a café selling a local favorite, a cup of COLD chocolate. This frosty mixture is served with Churro, a light pastry. The Churro is dipped in the cold chocolate and is delightful. You then drink the remaining chocolate for a refreshing treat.

Soon it was time to return to the bus, it was now nearly 6:45 PM, and we then headed to our next hotel. Our hotel is about 30 minutes from the city center. We will dine at the hotel this evening at 8 PM and finish in time to watch futbol (soccer), Italy vs. Ireland and Croatia vs. Spain. This should be exciting for the Spanish take their futbol very seriously.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

ValenciaValencia
Valencia

The Holy Grail


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb