Happy New Year


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Valencia
January 4th 2007
Published: January 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Boat in the harbour, St MaximeBoat in the harbour, St MaximeBoat in the harbour, St Maxime

St Maxime is not famous, like its neighbour, St Tropez. However, what was the film that made St Tropez internationally famous?
To all my avid readers, a very happy new year & hope your xmas was as good as mine. Before going on to this entry, the answers to the Italian questions. The tractor thingy was indeed a Lamborgini (this is what the sports cars look like without a body), so well done Dom and Si. Best guess goes to Steve, with a Lancia left out in the rain (though it was obviously in too good a condition for this to be correct). The drain was the drain of truth, which will, as legend has it, swallow your hand if you tell lies. Well done Dom again and Sharon (nice to hear from you and Dot)

Anyway, down to business. I have done some mile since my last entry. Travelling north through Italy, I spen a few days in Siena, which is indeed a beautiful little city ( I even managed to drive my camper van through the pedestrian zone, whoops). After that I went to La Spezia, where they have an interesting naval dockyard (if you like ships or sailors, I like ships!!)

I had planned a stop in Genova, but couldnt find a parking space anywhere, so drove
Dodgy Santa on the CamargueDodgy Santa on the CamargueDodgy Santa on the Camargue

The Camargue is well known for its horses. It is also famouse for 2 other animals, but what are they?
straight through (didnt look that interesting anyway) and ended up staying a week in Imperia, not far from the French border, for a few days.

Then over to Monaco and a drive around the F1 circuit in Monte Carlo. I had hoped to visit the casino, but they said my camper was too old to park in the city, never mind!

On into France, where my first planned stop was Nice, however, when I got there I just couldnt be bothered to stop, so carried on to Cannes, where they have the film festival. this is a place I have wanted to visit for years, ever since seeing it on Film 85, with Barrie Norman (for those who remember). Although I didnt see any movie stars, I had a great time looking around the marina and walking along the beach (I even went for a swim in the sea).

Next, a short journey down to St Maxime, which is just up from St Tropez. Its a very nice place (I prefered it to St Tropez), with mild weather and friendly people. I had planned to stay there for xmas, but got bored with going to all the
Pont Del Mar, ValenciaPont Del Mar, ValenciaPont Del Mar, Valencia

This is one of a series of bridges in Valencia. What is unusual about this series of bridges?
parties so moved on on the 22 Dec.

A short detour to the Grand Canyon (du Verdon), which is truely spectacular, through Marssaille in the evening (very pretty around the harbour with all the xmas lights, not so pretty around the huge docks), ending up at St Maries de la Mare, on the Camague for xmas eve.

I moved on xmas morning (no traffic), through the centre of Montpellier down to Narbonne for the afternoon and spent 3 days relaxing by the seaside, in the sun.

After that, I headed for the Pyrenees, with the hope of getting some snowboarding in. Staying at Font-Romeu, I had my first snowboard lesson , then spent the next day practicing falling down (oh my aching arse!!). Have to admit though, it was good fun and I did manage to board all the way down the practice slope (stop laughing now!!).

I spent new years eve in Andorra La Vella (the capital). After shopping for the afternoon, I went looking for parties in the evening. It was strangely quiet, with bars closed and people having meals in restaurants. It was most sureal. On new years day, I filled up with 60p per litre deisel and moved on to Salou in Spain, for 1 night.

My next stop, Valencia, which is a great city, very eccleptic (not sure if thats how you spell it, but you know what it means), for just 1 night. I am now in a place called Denia, which is just up from Benidorm. The sun has been shining and the temperature up near the 20s, so t-shirt and shorts. Struggling with the language, but so many Brits here that it doesnt really matter.

Finally, for this entry's questions, see the pictures.



Advertisement



8th January 2007

happy new year
Hey dave, good to hear from you. Cheers! Steve
10th January 2007

more answers
Hi Dave, happy new year. My answers this week (with a little help from wikipedia and google): 1. The movie that made St Tropez famous was "Le Gendarme de St Tropez" 2. Camargue is also famous for flamingos and bulls. 3. The bridges in Valencia go over dry riverbeds because the river was diverted around the city after serious flooding.
15th January 2007

Camargue animals
I think that the famous animals could be Camargue bulls and also flamingos. Both good on a barbeque, I should think ;-)

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb