Cullera/Valencia Part One: Perry and Lizzet Get Married


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Cullera
May 23rd 2013
Published: May 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We drove into Valencia from Cullera on Wednesday, and via GPS, found a parking garage right away....! We had time before the luncheon to see the Post Office, the Palacio de Dos Aguas, the Central Mercado and many other amazing buildings in the central part of town....

We found the restaurant where Lizzet's brother is head chef without difficulty, and had a delicious lunch with Perry, Liz, their parents, other family, and friends from Sacramento who had flown in for the wedding.

On Thursday, we all made our way up to the beautiful 1896 church built onto the old castle on the hill above Cullera. The lift wasn't working so the women had to climb the stairs in their high heels, but it was repaired in time for Lizzet to ride up in her gown...

It had taken Liz more than a year to get permission for them to marry here. Among the obstacles: Neither is a citizen of Spain, never mind a member of the parish and Perry is not Catholic....finally, they had to get married in Sacramento in February to make it all work....

After the wedding mass, photos were taken and we headed off
Rehearsal Lunch in ValenciaRehearsal Lunch in ValenciaRehearsal Lunch in Valencia

Flowergirl Sofia, her father, Liz's brother and parents
across the valley to the river delta for the reception. It was held at the restaurant of a friend of Liz's brother, Ramon. The restaurant has been a family business since 1936, and is right on the river, near where it meets the sea.

We started with several small plates (including baby squid, fish, an artichoke salad...) followed by a palate cleanser mango sorbet, and then had a truly delicious paella with aioli. Dessert was gelato and grilled fruit, and then wedding cake....

We danced for hours, as the sun set behind the hills, and the ducks and other river birds stopped by...joggers passed through, as did cyclists, since a river trail actually passes across the terrace of the Restaurant Picantera!

What wonderful fun it all was....From the beautiful setting for the ceremony, to Ramon setting his chest hair fire and lighting the ladies' cigarettes with the flames, to the delicious food, and great conversations in Spanglish....

Congratulations, Perry and Lizzet...and thanks again for inviting us to share this amazing day with you and your loved ones....!


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



25th May 2013

Your shoes!
LOVE your shoes!!! Of course it was worth it to haul them around for a month!
27th May 2013

Would not have been the same
Both Liz and I are happy you and Bill could make it to the wedding. it was great to see you and appreciated your presence. Great pictures too! i was not aware of many of the things you found in Cullera. Safe travels home.

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb