2017 Transatlantic cruise


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Region of Murcia » Cartagena
October 23rd 2017
Saved: April 9th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Barcelona - Valencia - Cartagena


Our second port was Cartagena. The docks were right outside the old city walls and it was a short walk to the main square where the main feature is the Palace Hall (city hall.) We met with a tour guide who walked us through the narrow streets of the old city center to an active Roman archeological site where an archeologist took a break from his digging to explain to us what we were seeing. The city was first founded by people from Carthage, a North African city contemporaneous with Rome. Hannibal was from Cartagena and after his failed attempt to conquer Rome, Carthage became part of the Roman Empire. The dig, which will remain an open air museum, is the site of the remains of a residential compound for Romans who worshipped the Egyptian gods Isis and Serapis, their temple which sits across the ancient street, and public baths.There were remnants of columns, cisterns, murals and walls with some color. The best pieces have gone to the museum. Cartagena is another beautiful old Spanish city with charming balconied buildings and open plazas connected by narrow streets. We took the glass-walled elevator to the top the hill within the city walls where sits a stone fortress with a small history museum with dioramas inside. Atop that are 360 degree views of the harbor and surrounding town and hills.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

4th December 2017

Welcome to the club!!
Thanks for letting me share yours and Simon's adventures and experiences. I thought I recognised the website when I received the invite!! Please let this be a regular thang as you both seem to visit and do cool stuff whilst you're away. I'm now going off to check out your Galapagos photos on Snapfish as Roisin has just booked us on the Celebrity Explorer for Feb 2019!!
26th December 2017

Galapagos, TravelBlog
Thanks for introducing me to TravelBlog. I loved your Trans Siberian Railway posts. If you have the time on your way to or from the Galapagos, Ecuador is worth a look. Or if you're flying from Peru, that's also a very interesting country.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb