Sansol to Viana - 14 km


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Navarre
June 13th 2015
Published: June 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Creative Camino Sign AdornmentCreative Camino Sign AdornmentCreative Camino Sign Adornment

One of the many examples of creative pilgrims ....
Had a very good sleep in our little private Casa. The owner actually left the 7 of us alone after dinner as she lives in another village! Woke up at 6:30 and eventually got up, started the coffee pot and ate from the breakfast foods left for us by Anna - fresh fruit, yogurt, breads. Poor Luzia is still having trouble with her blisters as well as her knee. She is a trooper and decided to treat her feet, wrap the blisters and wear her sandles instead of her boots. Phil was ready sooner and started off before us as he was wanting to meet up with the person he started travelling with.

It was a nice cool morning - a bit of sun & cloud - and the hike was quite gentle with a few ever- present ascents and descents! I don't think "flat" exists in Spain! There was a fairly steady flow of pilgrims - some familiar, many new. It seems like you see a lot of the same people in the first few days, and then people start to walk at their own pace. By the 3rd day, the blisters and aches joints often start to kick
Memorial to a Fallen PilgrimMemorial to a Fallen PilgrimMemorial to a Fallen Pilgrim

Not sure who or when .....
in and many have to stop; some even have to quit. I feel very fortunate that I have not yet had any blisters - just the same pesky callouses on my baby toes that always give me a bit of grief by the end of a long day. Luckily, they usually feel fine by the next day.

I am feeling quite tired (sleepy) today as I think that the long physical days and "snoring" at night interfere with my regular sleep. According to most, this is part of adjusting to the rhythm of the Camino. I am also feeling a little bad about stopping at the last hostel before Logrono; about 8 km down the road. Logrono is a very large city (pop. 155,000) and I would much rather stay in the smaller towns and villages. It also rained very hard this afternoon and even thundered; so it probably was a wise decision to stop for the day.

I think the "adrenaline" that many people feel at the beginning of the Camino is starting to wear off. There seemed to be such a sense of urgency to get to the next major stop and put as many kilometres
Memorial Continued ...Memorial Continued ...Memorial Continued ...

It's amazing how many people from all over the world leave token.
behind oneself - often making one forget to look around and take in some of the sights. We had a nice "pilgrim" dinner tonight in a nearby bar (ensalata mixta, seafood paella and chocolate yogurt) and I had a very nice chat with a young person from Hungary. He was nursing a very sore leg which forced him to slow down. His advice was to take the time to "smell the roses" and check out the churches, monasteries, etc. He is very right - you can get so caught up in your daily "job" - walk, shower, wash out sweaty clothing, eat, socialize, sleep - that you forget.

Looking forward to a "good" nights sleep in the hostel and hopefully an early start tomorrow morning. Good night : )


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Remnant of the Spanish Civil WarRemnant of the Spanish Civil War
Remnant of the Spanish Civil War

A large number of these bunkers could be seen all around the path today on the way to Viana.
"Free Room" for Pilgrims"Free Room" for Pilgrims
"Free Room" for Pilgrims

Sign on an old stone bunker dating back to the Spanish civil war.
Approaching VianaApproaching Viana
Approaching Viana

A welcome sight as the storm clouds close in.


13th June 2015

Biking the camino
We are a little ahead of you but feel like I am missing some of the little things in the camino being on bikes. Enjoying your post. Buen Camino!
13th June 2015

Biking the camino
We are a little ahead of you but feel like I am missing some of the little things in the camino being on bikes. Enjoying your post. Buen Camino!
14th June 2015

Nice to hear from a fellow pilgrim
I think that even being on foot you miss things - simply because you are focusing on breathing, aches and pains, the weight of your pack, blisters, etc. I am guessing we will all adjust our observations as we get more and more used to this journey : ). Thank you for reading my blog! One of the reasons I am doing it is so that I can remember where I've been!
14th June 2015

Blogs
I am also blogging but am behind a few days. It's fun to compare notes with you :) Happy traveling.
17th June 2015

Buen Camino
Happy travels!

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0777s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb