It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia » Santiago de Compostela
December 17th 2007
Published: December 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Boas Festas!Boas Festas!Boas Festas!

This means "Happy Holidays" in Gallego. I think this park is my favorite light display in the whole city.
Although I really, really miss snow (there’s no chance of it here because it’s too warm) I do think that Santiago looks very festive. Maybe it’s because I’m not watching much TV here, but I think that there more of a focus on the religious aspects of Christmas than the commercialism.

On Christmas Eve the Spanish eat a big dinner which usually includes seafood. And “Papa Noel” is gaining popularity, but it’s more traditional to give gives on “El Día de los Reyes Magos” (The Day of the Wise men), which falls on January 5th this year. It marks the day when the wise men completed their journey and gave their gifts to the baby Jesus. Much like our shopping mall Santas, there are people who dress up like the three wise men and ride through the town handing out presents and candy to the children. Many children get presents both on Christmas and on El Día de los Reyes Magos.

In my building we’re doing a “Secret Santa” swap and I’ve gotten several notes from my Secret Santa, but I still can’t figure out who it is! I guess I’ll just have to wait until later in the
Christmas flowersChristmas flowersChristmas flowers

A beautiful window display in a shop down the street from my building.
week when we exchange our gifts.

I can’t believe in less than one week I’m leaving for Salamanca. This year I decided to take a two week Spanish course in Salamanca and stay with a Spanish family. At first, I was a little nervous, but the more I think about it, the more excited I get. I’ll have my own room and won’t have to cook or do laundry for two weeks. I’ll have to get up pretty early every day to go to classes, but I like having a schedule. I’ll make sure to take plenty of pictures, but I’ll have to wait until I get back to post them.

Ok, well I’m going to write about my France trip as well, so I’ll bring this to a close. Thanks to everyone for the cards and packages! I hope your Christmas season is wonderful and full of love (and not full of stress). Boas Festas! (Happy Holidays!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Did you know?Did you know?
Did you know?

This has nothing to do with the photo, but did you know that pointsietta in Spanish translates to "the flower of Easter"? How strange!
Old part of townOld part of town
Old part of town

One of the main streets in the old part of town.
Palm tree?!Palm tree?!
Palm tree?!

This is just wrong in my opinion. Everyone should have snow for Christmas! (though I have heard that I have a better chance of seeing snow in Salamanca, so...I'm keeping my fingers crossed).
Plaza de FonsecaPlaza de Fonseca
Plaza de Fonseca

This small plaza is located right behind the Cathedral.
Plaza de ObradoiroPlaza de Obradoiro
Plaza de Obradoiro

Very impressive.
NativityNativity
Nativity

Here's a close up of the Nativity.


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb