Aranjuez


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid
February 10th 2006
Published: February 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Have you guys seen the movie “Pay it Forward”. If you haven’t you need to rent it. Its great. It’s the idea that you can start a chain reaction of kindness by doing something good for one person. When they ask how they can pay you back you tell them they can pay it forward instead and do something good for three more people. Then each one of those people hopefully helps three more people. Anyway, I always think of this when I see a homeless person on the street and I am in a hurry and am thinking to myself that I don’t have time to help them and then I remember how someone has helped me out in my life and that I can spare a few minutes to go get the person a sandwich. So, today was a pay it forward day.

I have been trying to make it to Aranjuez, a small town 45 minutes south of Madrid, for three weeks now. I decided this Friday was the day. So, my friend Dan and I set out mid-day for the train station. On our way we ran into a man that looked like one of the many homeless people on the streets in Madrid. As we were walking by he asked if we spoke English. We stopped and figured we’d give him a few euros and move on. Turns out he had quite a story. He is from Berlin and had traveled to the south of Spain for a DJ contest about a week ago. While he was there he had his backpack stolen with his laptop, wallet, and his passport.

He went to the German embassy for help, but all they could do was to export him back to Germany a week later. There was some problem getting his family to send him money so, he had to spend a week in Spain with no money, no documentation, and no ability to speak Spanish. He was on his 7th day of being homeless by the time we ran into him and appeared pretty distraught and hopeless. He needed 21 euros to stay in the only hostel he could find who would let him stay without a passport. So, we decided to help him out and take him for something to eat and give him some money for the hostel. He wanted us to stay and eat with him but we were already late. He took my email address and then we said our goodbyes. He asked how he could pay us back and we told him to do something nice for someone else. Anyway, even if his whole story wasn’t true at least his tummy was full and he had a smile on his face.

So, after all that, we made it to the train station about 2 o'clock and 45 minutes later we were in Aranjuez. We headed off for some yummy Argentinean food and a glass of wine before starting our tour. Unfortunately, the royal palace in Aranjuez had closed by the time we had finished lunch, but we were able to tour the royal gardens which were beautiful. It was Dan’s first time outside of busy Madrid since we got here in October. He was completely smitten with the town and the country life pace that they seemed to live there. Half heartedly joking and half heartedly serious, he said that he was going to come live here so we took down the number of a few English schools where he could teach before we left.

At about 7 pm we finished up touring the city and made our way back to Madrid to celebrate our friend Harula’s name day, which yes, most Americans have never heard off. It’s a tradition to celebrate the saint that you are named after almost like its your birthday We had some excellent Greek food to celebrate and then headed off to a club for dancing.

All, in all it was quite an excellent day 😊

Advertisement



12th February 2006

Payback
Lynn, many years go in Mamaroneck NY I was in a "green stamp" store. A little boy was buying a gift for his mother for Mothers' Day. He had saved "green stamps" to purchase a beautiful bedspread. The clerk said he still need $.25 for tax. Little boy only had a dime for bus fare back to Larchmont NY. I gave him the $.25 for tax and he was so very, very happy. He did not know how to thank me. I told him that some day when he saw someone who needed help to "pass it on" by helping that person. Then tell that person to "pass it on". We would then both be rewarded. Grandma
17th February 2006

you're so sweet
that is the nicest story i have heard in a while. you have to be sure to post whether the guy emails you are not. the story could continue...

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb