Hola Madrid


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
September 9th 2017
Published: September 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

After a 5 hour train ride through pretty dry and uninteresting countryside we have arrived in Madrid, our last stop before heading home. I shouldn't really say "uninteresting" because everywhere you haven't been is interesting in some form but think Hay Plain in January - not much variation. You know when you book a place you are never quite sure of it's location, well we scored well here. We are right in the shopping district a walk from just about everything - very grateful for double glazing!!

We had a wander for a few hours yesterday and this morning enjoyed a very leisurely start to the day which was just lovely. We then did the Hop on Hop off bus to the Prado Museum seeing lots of amazing buildings but, honestly, I think we are in "fabulous, old architecture overload". The Prado was everything we expected and SO much more - literally!! I heard a statistic that they have 7000 paintings (not including sculptures, drawings, etc) and only 1000 are on display at any one time. We feel as if we saw most of them but we know we didn't. Velasquez featured with works by Goya, Rembrandt, Van Dijk, etc. There was a fantastic special exhibition of works from the Hispanic Society of America that was set up by a chap called Huntington from the US who loved all things Spanish. One artist really appealed to us - Sorolla - check out his work if you like Impressionist paintings.

After that it was time to get some fresh air and we checked out the Botanical gardens which are a great mix of everything from flowers and vegetables to a cactus garden and tropical garden. Great to wander in the sunshine and it was all very orWe then ventured forth to find Placa Mayor which is the main piazza in Madrid and was abuzz with people having lunch/afternoon tea/aperitivo - it is hard to work out - perhaps one has merged into another. There were also street artists and hoards of tourists - time to retreat!

We look forward to seeing what is in store tomorrow. We are doing some research for Chris which involves visiting a major shopping plaza to check out a store which is trialling their business in Madrid!! It will be a fun "assignment" and you never know what we might find before we fly to Dubai-Sydney-Canberra tomorrow night. There is so much more to do in Madrid but, as always, what a good excuse to return!!

Love and adios.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Street performer!!Street performer!!
Street performer!!

He had quite a conversation with Mike!!!
Practical footwear - NOTPractical footwear - NOT
Practical footwear - NOT

We couldn't resist one day longer. The footwear worn by tourists never ceases to amaze us!!
Hotel for InsectsHotel for Insects
Hotel for Insects

How thoughtful is this?


10th September 2017

Insect Accommodation
Love the insect hotel! I saw something like this in Canberra recently and thought it was a very artistic and attractive way to store one's firewood. Clearly I missed the point entirely. ps: I can hear your rude comments.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb