Beautiful Segovia


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
July 29th 2013
Published: July 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Segovia AqueductSegovia AqueductSegovia Aqueduct

Town's most well-know sight. Built by the Romans and incredibly still used up until the 1800s! Genius Roman engineers.
A wonderful day, mainly because it was such a scenically beautiful day. I headed Northwest again, on a bus, and again cut right through the Guaddarama Mountains, the great, little range just a ways from Madrid. Driving I also saw the absolutely massive cross of the Valley of the Fallen, Spain's tribute to those who died in its bloody Civil War in the 30s. The cross I swear reached nearly to the top of the mountain. After an hour or so, and again a nice drop in temperature, the bus pulled into Segovia.

This little town is truly worth a trip because it is basically just a picture perfect place. It has a famous Roman aqueduct on one end of town, a time warp Old Town, small Romanesque churches everywhere, a beautiful Plaza Major with a looming Cathedral, and, finally, topping the town off, a Disneyland-like Castle, with beautiful views out over the countryside. It honestly felt like an Italian hill-town in Tuscany somewhere. And the landscape in this area is so brown and barren, but nevertheless extremely pretty. A desolate kind of beauty.

Got back to Madrid later in the afternoon, relaxed, had a coffee, wandered around looking
Another Aqueduct ViewAnother Aqueduct ViewAnother Aqueduct View

Makes you realize how the Romans were able to create such an enormous Empire. If they can build like this they can control just about anyone.
for a book, and again took advantage of the free couple of hours at the Prado. It's nice to go back again and again, mainly because you can just take your time, not feeling like you have to cram a massive museum into a couple of hours. Takes the pressure off.

Tomorrow is my last day in Madrid, and I'm seeing another museum, and overall just enjoying Madrid before my last night at the Prado. Glad I'm lingering here, but getting antsy and ready to travel on.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Little Segovia SquareLittle Segovia Square
Little Segovia Square

Typical throughout town. Little Romanesque church, and this one has the statue of a famous local hero.
Plaza Major and Cathedral Plaza Major and Cathedral
Plaza Major and Cathedral

Main square. It looks like the cathedral is glowing.
Better Cathedral ViewBetter Cathedral View
Better Cathedral View

Odd assemblage - Gothic, but then you have a Renaissance dome instead of Gothic spires.
Cathedra Cathedra
Cathedra

The actual bishop's seat, the cathedra. The difference between a church and a cathedral. Cathedral's are literally the seats of bishops.
Mary of the Apocalypse Mary of the Apocalypse
Mary of the Apocalypse

St. John in Revelations describes Mary, in his mad stupor, as standing on a demon, while in a half-moon. Never seen this type of Mary before.
Funny Lion DecorationFunny Lion Decoration
Funny Lion Decoration

On Cathedral. Has its tongue out. Still in Castile-Leon region.
Back Towards CathedralBack Towards Cathedral
Back Towards Cathedral

Other end of town from the aqueduct. Can see the Cathedral.
More CountrysideMore Countryside
More Countryside

Little church in the distance is Vera Cruz, built by the Knights Templar to supposedly hold a piece of the True Cross ("Vera Cruz").
AlcazarAlcazar
Alcazar

Castle. But this really was mostly rebuilt to look like a Disney castle. I didn't go in.
Up on a RiseUp on a Rise
Up on a Rise

Just like a hill town in Italy. The views are even similar.
Walking the WallWalking the Wall
Walking the Wall

On my way back to the aqueduct.
Mountains in the DistanceMountains in the Distance
Mountains in the Distance

That's where I was yesterday - over in that part of the mountains.


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0737s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb