When things are getting confusing!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
September 17th 2010
Published: September 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hey folks,

The last two weeks were confusing to say the least. We spent a lot of time trying to get the working visa we have been trying to get the last three months. Our embassy made us lose a lot of time too and Chloe lost our pictures from Sevilla and Lagos.

The Schengen free movement zone can be very confusing. In fact, the clerk at the Canadian Embassy in Lisbon did not even know how it works. She told us five different things and was of no help. After spending two days stressing for nothing. An official from back home sent me an e-mail that explain how things are really working. This is a resume of how things work:

Schengen Area

The member states of the European Union (EU) (not including Bulgaria, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania, and the United Kingdom), along with Iceland, Norway, and Switzerland (which are not in the EU), make up the Schengen Area, which has common rules regarding visas and controls at external borders. The following 25 countries comprise the Schengen Area: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

In the Schengen Area, Canadian travellers do not need visas for short-term visits (up to 90 days within a six-month period). The 90 days are cumulative and apply to travel within all countries of the Schengen Area. Some countries require you to register with local authorities within three working days of your arrival. It is important to get your passport stamped when entering the Schengen Area. The absence of an entry stamp from the initial Schengen port of entry could create difficulties during subsequent encounters with local police or other authorities throughout the Schengen Area.

If Canadians overstay the permitted 90 days in the Schengen Area, they may be fined or deported. To visit for longer than 90 days, Canadians must obtain a long-stay national visa.

That said, this is not resulting our working problem. I know that most people planning on working in Europe are applying for a working visa before leaving. However, things were a bit out of control and we ran out of time. We decided to leave and try to get one once we were in Europe. We thought it would have been easier over here. It was a huge mistake. Pretty much everyone told us to go back home and come back with a Visa. They even say it will be easy to get one back home. After many days of frustration, we met someone at the British Embassy in Madrid that really wanted to help us and went out of our way to give us an e-mail. She said to contact him and he will surely help us. This is exactly what I did and things look good. I should have more details in the next days.

I can declare that the last two weeks were not the most ¨free your mind up¨ travel days. However, we still discover great things. After leaving Malaga, we spend two nights in Sevilla. Sevilla is a very traditional city. You really feel the Spanish vibe. Everything shut down in the afternoon and the night are long. We did not visit too many site. We spend most of our time with three Kiwis we met at our hostel and experience the night life. We had a blast, thanks again mates. Another thing we really wanted to experience was a bullfight. I was really excited to go see one, Chloe not that much. The ticket only cost 12 euros. The bullfight started at 7PM. There were three Novilla that might. They were all younger than us. Each fight was about 20 minutes long. They start by playing with the bull for some time. They then, send two horses in the ring and they attack the bull with lances. After, you have three guys with two sword that attack the bull again. Finally, you have the Bullfighter coming in the arena to make fun of the bull for ten minutes before killing him. I have to admit that after three bulls I was more than ready to leave. It was also a shock to see three more bulls coming and get the same treatment. Not sure I will pay 12 euros again to see six bulls died.

On the next day, we left Sevilla for Lagos. We could have got there in four hours by bus. However, my travel agent already booked our train tickets. I do not want to talk about this to much...I will only say that it took us 25 hours by train. Once we get in Lagos, we forgot the train ride and fall in love with this small resort city. Lagos is very small and the main thing to do outside going out is swimming and explore the million caves and beach around the city. The first thing we did after we check in was running to the nearest beach and rent a boat to explore the beautiful caves and all the small beaches. You can rent a small fisherman boat for only 10 euro the hour. The water was stunning, the caves even more. I even saw a family of turtles in one of the caves. We then watch England kick the Switch in a small English pub. Funny thing about Lagos, no one speaks Portugues.

The drama start the next morning. Chloe woke me up telling me that she lost our camera memory card. Good news, it was newer one. Bad news, we lost the pictures of the bull fight and Lagos. It took me a while to see what was worse and I almost miss our train on purpose to rent a boat and take the same picture of the caves. I finally accept that it could have been far worse and told myself I would come back again. I am very sorry for the one that would have like to see the picture, I would have love to share them with you. I strongly recommend you go on google and look at the pictures of Lagos. It is simply beautiful.

We then move on to an under-charming Lisbon. It was not bad and what we saw was good. I think the fact we were coming back from Lagos did not help. We also spend way too much time in an office trying to figure out who was right. However, I love my visit of the castle, the many small cafes and plaza downtown. I also love the old yellow and red trams all over the city. We also visit Belem and did not love it, but we did not hate it either. I just do not understand why there is only reduction for people under 26 from the EU. We never do that in North America.

Our last destination in Portugal was Porto. After a lot of confusion with the hostel, where we walk two hours in the not so flat city to only discover they sent us to a different hostel, we finally check in and discover a charming city. We spend most of our time walking up and down the many hills of the city. Chloe found every house charming. On our last day, we cross the beautiful iconic Porto bridge to do some Porto tasting. People are very nice in this area of town. They are always welling to help chose from the 16 wine exposition. One even told us which one were free. We drank six cups of Porto for free with a very knowledge guide who explain all the basic of Porto making and how to buy the right one.

After some more confusion at the train station, we finally book the right train ticket that our travel agent again forgot to buy for us. We had another very long train ride to Madrid. Madrid is a bit under my expectation. A lot of people told me they did not like Madrid when they visit it in the past. I have to say that they were right. The city has not much to offer. It is capital city with all the normal population need. It is not a tourist city at all. We spent a night out and really enjoy it. We met some nice people, some not nice at all. We also took it easy fr once and give ourselves a much needed break.

We are right now in the main train Station waiting for a train to the Airport where we will sleep tonight before catching an early flight to London. We will spend only ten hours in London before leaving from a different airport to Prague. I am very excited. I think it will be a great month exploring five of the most appealing eastern Europe countries.

The hostel:

Sevilla: Ole Backpackers: I had a lot of fun over. Met only great people and the location + roof terrace is great. I think the hostel has a lot of potential. Only problem is no lockers in some room because the staff lose the key...no locks to the doors of all dorm.. Some door with no bathroom, had to knock on someone else door to ask him if you can use his toilette. A eight beds dorm with nine persons for three nights because the staff do not ask for id when you get in and there is no lock to any dorm door... It is cheap tho...plz new staff

Lagos: JJSYARD: Nice small hostel in a very nice location. Cheap, good people.

Lisbon: Ritual hostel: Good small hostel....very quiet! lots of caracter, free internet,nice tv lounge.. the lockers under the beds are nice but just a bit too small for a normal backpack.

Porto: the yellow house: Good location, ok hostel with good staff...good price...nothing special.

Nick


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb