Fiesta de San Juan, Yachting and More Dali


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Cadaqués
June 24th 2007
Published: June 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=5CwJLe0sXOI](pretend like I’m up to date . . . )

After a couple days in the castle, Pepe and I headed north to Cadaques, a small fishing town in the north part of Costa Brava (very glad Pepe es pequeno because the streets are TINY). With the help of LoQuo, Spain’s Craig’s List (very handy), I found a week rental right up the street from the water and main square. I was told the owner is an older English woman who spends most of her time there creating pottery and then goes back to London to sell it. This place brought back great memories of staying at Nana Cuca’s house (my grandma). Lots of nick knacks and mismatched things that still seem to go together, hanging laundry outside, little flower pots on the deck . . . good times.

Over the weekend my new Barcelona friends, Wyatt, Frank, Heather and Jan (visiting from Amsterdam) all came up to celebrate the Fiesta de San Juan. Heather did the Google check . . . there were a lot of answers but the general gist is that it’s the celebration which coincides with the summer solstice, and also incorporates dunking in the ocean, lots of fireworks, bonfires on the beach and buying a special pastry that you offer to Juans. We didn’t know any Juans, but Heather bought the “official” pastry that we all shared for breakfast the next morning.

For this little town (and from what I hear, throughout all of Spain) the Feast of San Juan is big (for those from Laguna, picture E-bay on the 4th of July). Within a day the number of people in town doubled, a stage was erected in the center square and a huge pile of anything that would burn was set up in the middle of the beach. We started off the night at Mark and David’s house, twin brothers who are local friends of Wyatt. They have a beautiful house overlooking the water with a great deck that serves as a prime launch pad for shooting off fireworks. Something else I learned about Spain. . . It is a huge producer of fireworks. And, you can pretty much buy ANYTHING. All the big fancy fireworks that went off that night were being set of by random pyros throughout town. My brothers would have been in heaven! And since no one sleeps in Spain, it sounds like the town is being bombed all night.

After fireworks and dinner we headed to the center of town for the “live” show on the “big” stage . . . Think cheesy wardrobe changes, shoo-be-do-wop girls (and guys) and even green laser lights! It was big for the little town.

Sunday we spent the day on David and Mark’s boat cruising up the coast, checking out Dali’s house from the water and doing a little snorkeling. I bought new camera for this trip that you can take underwater without a casing so I had a chance to try it out for the first time - it still works too!

Later in the week after everyone left, I took a walk to Port Lligat to check out Salvador Dali’s house which is now open for touring. This guy was a trip! Check out some of the photos!



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



4th July 2007

green
envious.... looks like a spectacular trip.... i am listening to gun shots mixed with fireworks - very *mission* 4th... can't wait until you get to Africa to hear all about that.... xx
4th July 2007

Hey sister -
Christy - so good to hear and see you enjoy Spain....such a fabulous country. Hoping to see you there soon. Still have great memories of our time in London - enjoy every second Soul Sister..........Love HJ x
5th July 2007

Wow!
What a great trip!! Dali's house looks unreal (no surprise there). I'm off to the Basque region in August, and it will be my first manual car experience -- reading about you and Pepe has given me hope (and trepidation!) Looking forward to your next post!
5th July 2007

Lucky Duck
Hey, you are soooo lucky you got to see the Dali House. I am definitely going to do that one the next time I'm there. It's fantastic! You certainly are having a ball girl and i'm just the teeniest bit envious... so.. so console myself I booked some flights to France today. We'll have 4 nights in Mougins. Stayed at this villa before and it's gorgeous. That will mean we've been back to our two favourite places this year.. and usually we never go back anywhere... Keep the blog going girl.. can't wait for the next installment.. esp with the dolphins. Angie x
6th July 2007

saints day
hi christy in italy they do the saints day too. if you are named after the saint you get to celebrate that day, special pastries, everyone congratulates you etc. also in italy they go crazy with fireworks and you can get the big gnarly ones at the market. people also like to just shoot thier guns into the air, ahhhh. have fun-
6th July 2007

I love the comment about trying to go home early in Spain..! very naughty. Love the Dali connectione every where you go! Keep on rollin'!

Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 118; dbt: 0.1132s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb