Barcelona in the rain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
June 2nd 2011
Published: June 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Last chance to see Barcelona today and we hoped for sunshine or at least no rain. However, by the time we had reached the city the skies were beginning to drip so we took shelter in the Information office while we found out where today’s exploration might best be undertaken. We decided to follow the narrow streets of the old town, stopping at several notable buildings and ready to dash for shelter in doorways should the rain prove to be a problem. First though, we took a look at the Opera House, or at least the wonderful shop attached to it. So many opera CDs were there, even some for children, as well as all sorts of souvenirs. The best part though, was hearing what sounded like a rehearsal going on, but was probably a DVD being viewed in another space.
Other buildings we came across included two churches – both closed – and remains of the old Roman wall that have been preserved. The rain came and went, sometimes in great quantity and we did what we could to dodge the resulting puddles and flowing streets. Eventually we found a street recommended at the Information Office. It is the chocolate street and there we succumbed to the temptation of a hot chocolate and little cake. The chocolate was so thick we needed to eat it with a spoon. We saw others with churros for dipping into the chocolate so now we know how that process works. After such a chocolate overload we decided that if it wasn’t raining when our train arrived at the station nearest to our hotel we would walk the 30 minute journey again. Of course the rain had just stopped when we got to the station, so the route march back to the hotel took place with no real problems and no more rain until we reached our room.
Tomorrow we leave Spain for France, via Andorra. Spain has been such a torrent of sounds and experiences it feels as though we have been here for a long time. It is a big country with a big heart. The people we have met have been helpful and friendly, often making our talking with them a highlight of the memories we will take away.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb