Barcelona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
May 20th 2006
Published: May 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Its 2:45 am in Barcelona.

Well for the second straight hostel, we spend more than an hour walking around looking for the actual building. This time was different from the last because we, well I, asked for directions three times from people and I got three different anwsers. I am doing a good job with the Spanish for not having spoken in a while, but once we found the hostel it was a great.

The day started at 3:30 am from our Hostel in Piccadilly Circus in London. We needed to take a bus 10 minutes downtown to Victoria Station to go to Gatwick Airport. Next thing we know, 20 minutes went by, and we were out of London, on the side of a road at 4:30 am, and we missed our first train. Luckily, we got oriented, rode the train back downtown, and get a train at 5 am in plenty of time to get our flight to Barcelona at 6:55.

We flew EasyJet which I must plug as the best flight I have ever had. They were super friendly, the plane was super clean and nice, and we arrived 30 minutes early. After we flew over
Me in BarcelonaMe in BarcelonaMe in Barcelona

In the mountains at the Olympic Village overlook
the Pyrennes (which were still snow covered), we got to sunny and 80 degree Barcelona. This is an AWESOME city that is maybe the best I've seen so far. It is old, but so artistic and modern. We went to Las Ramblas which is a pedestrian only pathway of like 2 miles which has live music, human statues, tons of stores where you haggle for prices, and flowers, performers, and art. We stopped in the fresh market and got some fresh fruits to eat on our way. As we walked down, I noticed that the Today Show was filming in Las Ramblas, and we stopped but it was done filming so we kept walking. About 20 minutes later, someone stepped on Heather´s foot and apologized. It was in English, so when we turned to so its ok, who else was there, but Matt Lauer. We got our pictures with him, and I had good 15 minute conversation about our trip and my future. He seemed like a really down to Earth guy, but it was crazy seeing him here.

Besides that, we went to the beach and a few other places. I also haggled a FC Barcelona flag from a store for 10 euro, which was like 1/4 the orginial price. We were in London when the Arsenal / FC Barcelona game went down, so we knew we´d be in one city that lost, and one that won. Sadly, we were in the one that lost, and missed the parade by one day. But we may go see the Museum and stadium tomorrow, and the Picasso Museum as well as a bunch of other sites before we leave Sunday Morning for Nice, France.

Tonight, we went out with like 50 kids from various hostels, and went to dinner where we had authentic Spanish tapas (food), then we saw Flamingo dancing which was cool, then off to a bar, before we finally hit up the Discoteca. We met like 20 kids, and made tons of friends when on this trip. Also, in our hostel there is a girl from Canada who is traveling to all the cities we are till Bern, Switz, and is coming with us on the train on Sunday. Besdies that, a group for 5 people from Michigan who are doing the same. I got back around 2 am cause I´m beat and have to prepare for another day and long night tomorrow.

We heard the trip from Barcelona to Nice is long, but some of the best views in the world. Im really excited to continue the trip. It is surreal to be walking past Buckingham Palace, or through Temple Bar in Dublin, or down Las Ramblas and along the beaches of Barcelona and appreciate what I´m doing. I´m trying to take it all in, and appreciate it while I do it, but I´ll have thousands of photos to show you all when I return. Hope the US is treating you all well, and Il write again when I can.

Ryan


Advertisement



20th May 2006

Matt Lauer??
You should have told him he was "glib" for stepping on my sister's foot!!
21st May 2006

european vacation
You guys are having so much fun maybe we will join you guys. Thanks for the updates this is great. Bueno, Bien and hasta luego
21st May 2006

WOW
Ryan you need to treasure the times over there as those places will give you insight on what's good and bad about the world. You will see the most awesome building designs and taste the best foods. I was in Barcelona almost 30 years ago and it was a blast. I saw a bull fight, some incredible churches, ate the most delicious foods, and talked to some very friendly people. I can only envy you your trip and wish you much luck. Clancy
22nd May 2006

flamingo?
hmm flamingo dancing? i think its flamenco dancing haha

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0783s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb