Day 7: Barcelona Sightseeing


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
April 25th 2005
Published: May 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Olympic TorchOlympic TorchOlympic Torch

The Olympic torch from the 1992 games
Our tour of the city sights takes in Gaudi's Art Nouveau Cathedral, and the 1992 Olympic Games complex. Stroll along the Ramblas, shop for Lladro porcelin and Majorica pearls, eat tapas and check out a Flamenco evening.

Nutella pancakes for breakfast! Had a driving tour of Barcelona, which is the capital of Catalonia, which is an area of Spain. Drove up Montjuic and saw the 1992 Olympic stadium. Saw the giant torch that they guys missed with the bow and arrow at the opening ceremony. Went to see Sagrada Familia, Gaudi's church he started building in 1882 which is still being built today. Went to a leather/porcelin/majorica pearl shop called Mestrepiel. Walked through the gothic quarter and saw the cathedral and Catalan Government building, and the steps where Columbus brought back food from the new world (potatoes etc).
Had 7 hours free time, so went to Museu de la xocolata. Was interesting to find out that chocolate originated in the amazon and the Spanish brought it to Europe. They had famous paintings, sculptures and movie scenes made out of chocolate - lady and the tramp, the fish tank from finding nemo, gaudi's cathedral, mary and jesus.
Julia, Cara,
Sagrada FamiliaSagrada FamiliaSagrada Familia

Gaudi's side
Melissa and I then caught the bus out to Park Guell, Gaudi's park.T his was an interesting experience, as it was right before siesta, so the bus was packed. We didn't really know where we were going, but everyone was very helpful telling us where we had to get off, even though they could hardly speak any english, and we know even less Spanish. The park was so amazing. It's set on 20 hectares overlooking the city, and was built between 1920 and 1914. The mosaics are fantastic. The mosaic balcony and seats have the best view over the city, and is 152 metres long. We didn't get a chance to go into the museum there as we ran out of time, but it looked like a gingerbread house from the ouside. On the way back into town we saw Gaudi's apartments from the bus, which look really cool too. Wandered along La Rambla, the most famous street in Spain, until we had to go to the pickup point.
Met up with Marty and the coach at 5.45, to get changed for our evening out. Was an interesting experience getting changed on a bus full of girls whilst driving round
Sagrada FamiliaSagrada FamiliaSagrada Familia

The new side..... it doesn't quite match
the streets of Spain. Did 2 loops, then stopped to let the boys on.
Went to our flamenco dancing evening, and had some more warm sangria. The dancing was really cool, and at the end we all got up to learn some dancing together. Left there and went towards the pier, for our optional dinner at Monchos. So much food! Had a buffet of salads and pastas for the first course, then a main of heaps of different dishes, then dessert of some lemony cake custard thing. Everyone was so full, hardly anyone went out afterwards.
Got back to the campsite and got into my pyjamas, then headed to the bar and had a pint of San Miguel. Stayed up talking till they closed the bar, then they turned all the lights off so we were sitting outsde in the dark and we got the hint and went to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Park GuellPark Guell
Park Guell

Julia on the mosaic bench/balcony
The BalconyThe Balcony
The Balcony

Julia, Cara, Melissa and I on the balcony overlooking Barcelona


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb