Amsterdam, Brussels, & Barcelona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
June 10th 2009
Published: June 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone!! It´s a little after 10pm here and we just got back to the place were staying. We´ll give you a little more details about the past few days:


AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS:
We spent 2 nights here and we stayed on a houseboat. Our room was tiny (8x8) and we had a little porthole for a window. Surprisingly, this turned out to be the best place we had stayed yet. We couldn´t pronounce or remember the name of the lady who owned the boat, so we just called her "Happy Boat Lady" because she was so friendly.
The people in Amsterdam are "bike riding machines" we have decided. There were literally thousands of bicycles in this town, they even had a parking garage devoted to nothing but bike parking. We nearly got ran over numerous times.
Also, we have never seen so many dreadlocks in one place in our life (& in case you didn´t know, marijuana is totally legal here). The entire town is definately very unique.


BRUSSELS, BELGIUM:
We woke up Tuesday morning at 5am in Amsterdam and walked from our boat over to the train station. Not a very fun walk- on top of having our backpacks on and still being half asleep, it was pouring down rain. We took a train down to Brussels because we had a flight leaving from there later on that night. When we reached Brussels, the only goal we had was to eat a Belgian Waffel.
There wasn´t much in that town that we were wanting to see or do and this was a good thing- Dumb and Dumber didn´t have a map of the city. When we got out of the train station, we just went the way we ´felt´ was the right way. Figures we´d go the way that was away from the main tourist sites. Oh well, we managed to come across a small cafe during our ´wandering´where we had some really yummy lasagne- but not better than Mom & Judy´s haha. It was funny because as soon as we set down and looked at the menu, we realized it was all in French. I guess when the woman seen us pull out our electronic translator she knew we´d be needing some help. She was very friendly and as soon as she said ¨Do you need some help?¨we felt relieved. Then the first thing she said was ¨Do you like lasagne?¨we both pratically screamed ¨YES!!!!¨ because it was something we actually recognized (we pratically starved the 5 nights we were in Paris haha).
After this we walked around some more and then we decided to go on to the airport. Our flight was delayed because it was storming so we ended up getting to Barcelona about an hour late.



BARCELONA, SPAIN:
When our plane landed we got our bags, figured out which bus to get on and then it dropped us off in the center of town. We were still a long ways from the place we were staying and the subways were already closed so we decided to take a taxi. We were glad we did because we probably would have never found the place in the dark. The place we´re at is totally cool. We´re on the 4th floor of the building and it is kind of like a really big apartment. There are 5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and we pretty much have it to ourselves. There is also a kitchen and a living room area with a laptop for us to use. All the doors in this place are about 20 ft tall and they open up to balconys overlooking the streets. The guy running the place (Fernando) is one of the most helpful people we have met. He told us what & where to eat at and he walked us over to one of the restaurants. He even wrote down some of the words we would need to know so we would understand the menu (like potatoe, or ´taters´ for everyone back home haha).
After eating, we went over to the beach and put our feet into the Mediterranean Sea for the first time (we were very, very excited). The water was really pretty and it is so warm and sunny here- especially after coming from the places we were before. We then went to see the ¨Sagrada Familia¨ which is the most visited site in Barcelona. It is a really big church that is still unfinished, even though they began building it in 1882. We took several pictures of this and then we became distracted because we seen ice cream. I think we were more amused by this than anything.

After our ice cream, we took the subway up to a place called Parc Guell. We didn´t realize that Barcelona had so many hills until we went here. We basically walked straight up a steep hill for about 20 minutes until we reached the entrance to the park. This place was totally worth it because it overlooked all of Barcelona. The place is HUGE and we were a little lost trying to find our way out so we were looking at a map. Next thing we know we hear something from up the hill in the bushes and out pops some dude-- completely NAKED!!!! We both take off running and we ran into a couple who were going that way. We felt we should warn them that there was a Tarzan wanna be just up the hill so I (Amber) said the first thing that came to mind: ¨THERES A NAKED GUY OVER THERE!!!!!!¨ . They then went into ¨Mom and Dad Mode¨and told it was going to be ok. They had us walk with them until we got away from that area. We have no clue what this guy was doing or what he was trying to prove, but it was really weird. So after this ordeal we went back to the subway and headed back towards the main part of town.

We were starving and tired after this long day so we wanted some food. We have both been craving KFC for the past 2 weeks and haven´t seen it anywhere. Anyone who knows either of us knows us know how obsessed we are with chicken. So soon as we get off the subway we see a huge sign for it and we take off running towards it. We have decided one thing... when your tired, hungry, and in a foreign country where there is no food that you recognize... Colonel Sanders is "one sexy beast!!" We also decided that KFC should really stand for "I´d Kill For Chicken" and we almost did haha We know every person in that restaurant knew we were Americans just by the way we were chowing down on that chicken.

We are back at our hostel now and we have to quit hogging the laptop since there are a few other people here too. We will try to upload some pictures soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



22nd June 2009

The Naked
Hey...I think your tarzan wanna friends came to visit Charleston when I was there because we went to the beach on Kiawah island and there were naked european kids (2-10) in the outside showers (like 5 different ones)!!! I could not figure out what they were doing until I heard there accent and realized that werent from the US :)

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb