"Bathelona!" Part Two


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
May 15th 2007
Published: May 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Still laughing the next morning, this time at the pathetic ness of Dan who was feeling the pain of trying to keep up with his new friends, the Italian students, 10 years his junior, Erin and I left the boys to sulk and we headed back out to the beach to work on our tans and do a bit of wandering on our own, down to the marina and past the BMW training school and into the most gorgeous handcrafted mask store!

Before going back to the apartment, we ventured to the tourist office in search of Flamenco dancing, where we thought we struck gold with a brochure to a Tango night for only €5 and had the officer draw a map of the location for that night and set out to buy them before the boys had a chance to protest, but couldn’t for the life of us find it, so left figuring it was a bar or club that must have been locked away for the day.

Heading back with food for the boys, they had decided that they weren’t in good enough shape to spend the day on their feet, so we each bought a 2 day pass on the city tour bus. Parting with our euro’s was hard on all of us, but despite the tourist mark-ups, the bus was an excellent way to make sure we were able to see all the sites!

Aside from finding a city filled with statues, we drove past the amazing La Pedrera, one of Gaudi’s very famous pieces of architecture from the early 1900’s, on which the whole city seems to be themed!

The next stop off on the tour bus was the Sagrada Familia, still under construction despite starting in the late 19th century, and still looking very much like a construction site!

So it was back on the bus and up the hill to the amazing Park Gruell, initially planned as a residential garden city, but was donated to the Municipal Council and has since been a unique public park looking of spectacular views of the city and housing beautiful boulder sculptors, and mosaic decoration. I could have set up camp there for a week and not seen all that I wanted to see, it was filled with little paths leading off to different garden features, and nothing like anything I have seen before!

But with the day disappearing, and wanting to get back in time to hunt down the Tango performance, we saw a bus view of the famous theme park, Tramvia Blau-Tibidabo, Palau Reial and the 2000m² merchandise store of the Futball Club Barcelona and continued our search by foot for Tango!

A long, dark, allyway later with a scaley looking staircase and scent familiar to Amsterdam, we found where the map described the Tango to be!

When asking the woman behind the dodgy little bar (I think the only words she under stood were Tango and Euro) she responded increidibly enthusiastically, and showed us to a little theatre room, with a stage and seating and with a sigh of relief we took our seats.

On stage, there was a chair and a gitar, but not a whole lot of room to dance. Then a man cam out in a shirt and dress pants taking his place on the stage, and with a grand introduction in Spanish, before a lady came out too join him.. Neither looking particularly dressed for the occasion, but all seemed fine and dandy. Instead of embracing the woman on stage, he
Beautiful, beautiful buildingsBeautiful, beautiful buildingsBeautiful, beautiful buildings

I'd love to tell you what they all were, but I would be lying!
took a seat and embraced his giuitar! The woman then took her mike and in turn did her speil in Spanish, of which we didn’t understand a word and then proceddded to sing! I understood two words.. In the first song, the word Tango, and in the third, Sienyourita! It seems that we had tickets to a breaking artists launching gig to her first recorded album, Tango!! Opps!! If anyone is interested, Sandra Rehder was a fantastic artist, but no good at the Tango!!

An hour and a half later of sitting through song after song that we couldn’t understand, we laughed ourselves all the way home with Gelato in hand, walking past the beautiful Santa Maria del Ma by night ready for another day...



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Shopping for a new face :PShopping for a new face :P
Shopping for a new face :P

The most beautiful leather, paper mache and porcilin masks made there in the shop, but we were only allowed one photo each!
Park GuellPark Guell
Park Guell

The courtyard had little stalls and entertainers mingling with sunbakers, picnis and people on their daily jog
Park GuellPark Guell
Park Guell

Can you find me??
Park GuellPark Guell
Park Guell

The higher we got, the better the views..
Touring on the Tourist BusTouring on the Tourist Bus
Touring on the Tourist Bus

Just incase our backpacks, maps and lost faces weren't enough of an indication, waving to people from an open top bus may have been more obvious!
Futball Club BarcelonaFutball Club Barcelona
Futball Club Barcelona

Aparently a big deal!


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb